Gluing Felt to Wood

I'm making a guitar stand and want to glue felt to the wood where the guitar touches the stand. I tried rubber cement, but it made the felt funky. Any suggestions?

I get my wife to help me out with her hot glue gun (that thing scares me!) and have had consistently good results. My last project was a big rack for my fishing rods and I used about 8 feet of 1/2" wide felt: She shot the glue and I pressed down the felt.
Cheers!
Gary

glue
How about posting some pictures of your rod rack in the binaries group, Gary. I'm still casually looking for a solution for storing about a dozen rods on a wall in the space about 2 1/2 feet wide. I'd be interested to see what you've put together.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Mike,
I'm flattered, but it's nothing fancy.... Basic pine with half-lap joinery. I had to go with mounting it on the roof because I have a lot of fly rods and, with sticks ranging from 9 thru 14 feet, standing 'em up isn't an option :)
When I build my "I Love Me" room, I'll construct some sort of a rack that will hold the rods at an angle so they can be displayed on the wall.
Here's a link to some photos I posted:
http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/index.php?showtopic 362
Cheers!
Gary

joinery.
That works. I've even thought of the exact same scheme for my garage, which is where all of my rods hang right now. I was thinking of hinging one end because the ceiling is high and I'd need a ladder every time I went to grab a rod or put one away. Right now they are just hung on peg board by a passage door and I kind of like them there, but they're not as well secured on the pegs as I'd like them to be. I'm thinking of a half-round scheme that might either allow me two rows of rods (one inside the other), or an alternating upright/upside down configuration so that I could get more rods into the same space without reels interfering with each other. I keep thinking about buying a couple or a few of those rubber rod holds you can buy at Wal Mart and securing them to what I construct, so that the rods are really gripped nicely.
My fly rods are both 8 footers so they're not much of a length problem, and my ultra light is a single piece 4 1/2 footer so it's about the same size. The rest are mostly 6 foot two piece rods that I always breakdown and store within themselves (in the eyelets with a piece of velcro around the butt), and there's one 10 foot noodle rod that breaks down, but is still long when broken down.
Maybe soon(?) I'll get around to knocking something together. I've been promising myself to do this forever, so I guess I should get around to it. If so, I'll post a picture in the binaries group.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, Mike: Mine is only a temporary solution (until I build my "I Love Me" room, at the latest (grin)) and I am already trying to dream up something that's just as functional as this one but more decorative.
Interestingly, I didn't put a ton of thought into the number of holes, but just spaced them far enough apart such that I *thought* there'd be room for rods to be stored side-by-side with reels on 'em. 2 problems: I only condsidered fly reels when I came up with the spacing (my spin rods don't fit), and I mounted the rack at one end of the room so I can't set 'em up there in an alternating (head/toe/head/toe) manner.
Another boo-boo: I guessed at the number of holes to drill and was quite happy when I tossed my rods up there. Then, as I walked around the house and started adding more rods in various stages of construction (I build my own fly rods) as I found them tucked here 'n' there, I quickly ran out of room... Oh MY! Not only do I need a bigger rack, but I may also have to seek professional help for this apparent addiction....
As another temporary solution, I'm going to add another set of holders (maybe 12" shorter) above the current ones. So, I'll go from this (end view):
___________ I I I I I ______________________
to this:
___________ I I _______________ I I I ______________________
(gee, I hope the news service keeps all those spaces in there!)
Cheers!
Gary
You might try either double stick tape or a light coating of spray contact adhesive. Good luck, Jack

Go to the local craft shop and get a bottle of aleines(sp) tacky glue (looks like white glue) it will hold felt to wood very well. I have used it on several hundred items and have not had a failure yet. Also you might try 3m spray adhesive it will work as long as you don't get it near turpentine.

guitar

White glue works fine as long as you spread it out really thin and even.
-Leuf
Hi John,
The best thing I have found is 3M's 77 spray adhesive. Works great!
Dan

John B wrote: > I'm making a guitar stand and want to glue felt to the wood where the guitar > touches the stand.
<snip>
You want what is known in the trade as "mole skin".
Felt with adhesive applied and then the adhesive is covered with a peel away paper covering.
Lew

Spray on glue. Or, you can use the same glue used to glue felt onto pool tables.
John B wrote:

I just lined a drawer with felt last weekend. Used some Elmer's spray adhesive. Forget the actual name but it WAS Elmer's and advertised that it was good for fabrics, etc. and had high tack and low penetration into fabric.
Cut and dry fit carefully before spraying and then use some blue tape to mask the areas you don't want sprayed and go for it. Worked like a charm for me. You sure don't need much of it to do the job.
John B wrote:

As others suggested, spray adhesive. PVA (white) glue is good too but don't put the felt on while it is wet else it can soak through the felt...put a heavy coat on the wood, let it dry then iron on the felt with an iron set to "hot".
--
dadiOH

...Dan J
John B wrote:

John you should try a glue used for almost 100 years in the shoe industry! It is called "BARGE CEMENT". It is used to glue soles on to shoes and liners inside leather shoes. It works on many different materials and permanately bonds dissimilar items. A bit hard to find but if you have an "oldtimer" shoe repair store they should carry it! Without being too forward I also carry it on my website in a small 2 oz. tube, (I manufacture various handtools and accessories for woodworking and old lathes and this glue is used to bond the ends of the leather belts used to power these older machines so you know it has to be good stuff!). Tim Q www.alisam.com "A-LEE-SAM"

I've always used white glue with no apparent problems.
- Owen -
3M Spra-Ment Craft and Display Adhesive Low Mist Formula #6060
I got mine at a Home Depot

An easier option is to buy some of the self-adhesive felt. It's only a couple bucks at the hardware store.