Gluing cedar

Page 1 of 2
I made some test finger joints out of cedar and glued them last night. I ha nd-planed the joint today to see how it looked and it failed! The temps wen t to 45 last night. The glue is relatively new. I didn't clamp it but you h ad to wriggle in the piece because the joint was fairly tight. I've rarely worked with cedar. Is it resistant to yellow wood glue?
Mike
On 9/17/2013 6:19 PM, Michael wrote:

It's an oily wood. Try cleaning with Acetone first, or using epoxy.
--
Jeff

On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:00:41 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

went to 45 last night. The glue is relatively new. I didn't clamp it but y ou had to wriggle in the piece because the joint was fairly tight. I've rar ely worked with cedar. Is it resistant to yellow wood glue?

Thanks, Jeff. I'll give epoxy a shot.
Michael wrote:

woodchucker wrote:

Michael wrote:
Thanks, Jeff. I'll give epoxy a shot. ---------------------------------------------------- Epoxy doesn't like 45F.
Try to maintain at least 65F until the epoxy kicks.
BTW, you also want to clean with acetone first.
Lew
On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:52:25 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Thanks, Lew. I tried Gorilla glue for the heck of it. But I'll also experiment with acetone and epoxy.
On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:52:25 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Will acetone help yellow glue set, or is yellow glue just not an option?
Michael wrote:

Like epoxy, yellow glue doesn't like anything much below 60F.
Acetone won't help yellow glue set, but it will help prepare the surface to receive the y/g.
Lew

Acetone simply cleans the surface, I think you should look at the working temp range on the bottle.
On 9/17/2013 10:38 PM, Michael wrote:

Yellow will work , just wipe with aceton, let it air dry 1 minute or 2 then glue.. either yellow or epoxy. Like Lew said low temps are generally not good for any glue..
--
Jeff

Not IME. Neither western nor eastern.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:01:10 PM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:

Organizations
Institution of Mechanical Engineers, British engineering society Institute of Management Education, Hayatabad Peshawar KPK Pakistan Instituto Militar de Engenharia (Military Institute of Engineering), an engineering school in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Iran Mercantile Exchange, an Iranian commodity exchange Institution of Mechanical Engineers India, an Indian engineering society
Science and Technology
Input method editor, a program or operating system component that allows computer users to enter characters and symbols not found on their keyboard In-Movie Experience, a content channel for providing bonus material on HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc Intron Mediated Enhancement, a biological process by which some intron sequences can enhance gene expression
Entertainment
I Mother Earth, an alternative rock band from Canada
On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 16:07:30 -0700 (PDT), Michael

IME, it's none of the above.
On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:56:57 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Ah, got it.

https://www.google.com/#q ronym+ime
--

dadiOH
____________________________

like "gorilla glue" work inmany cases - and wiping down with acetone before gluing can help as it removes the natural oil from the surface/fibers. The right moisture content (less than about 15%, but not too dry (like less than 5%) will let normal wood glues cure properly
On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 9:39:05 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

went to 45 last night. The glue is relatively new. I didn't clamp it but yo u had to wriggle in the piece because the joint was fairly tight. I've rare ly worked with cedar. Is it resistant to yellow wood glue?

I think this might be a case of really dry cedar. I got several wide boards free from someone who was cleaning out his shed and wanted to get rid of t hem. They had obviously been there a while. I thought I would make a few bo xes out of them, but the gluing issue might make this a series of cumbersom e projects.
"Michael" wrote:

Now you tell us.<G>
Time to fire up the grill and use those planks to grill cedar planked <use fish of choice>.
Google "cedar planked fish", for lots of recipies.
Lew

I have been gluing western red cedar for years with yellow glue and urethane glue. Never had a problem. But keep it warm for the first 24 hours.

I have glued the cedar picket on occasion with good results. I have had glue failures with oak face to plywood in temps not quite as cool as what you were working in.
On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 3:19:15 PM UTC-7, Michael wrote:

ent to 45 last night. The glue is relatively new. I didn't clamp it but you had to wriggle in the piece because the joint was fairly tight. I've rarel y worked with cedar. Is it resistant to yellow wood glue?

Temp is one issue. Cedar should be fine with yellow glue as long as it is k iln or air dried to lumber status. However, yellow glue depends on pressure as part of the curing process. Otherwise there is no assurance you get muc h bond. Sounds like no pressure in this situation. I would use something li ke system 3 T-88 epoxy. No pressure required per-se.