Glue for shop-made veneer

I've finally perfected my technique for making 1/16" quartersawn oak veneer, but now I need some advice on gluing it to the substrate. There will be two pieces side by side, about 30" long, for shelves. The substrate is 5/8" plywood.
I've made a veneer press, so I will be cold pressing the veneer to the substrate. But because my veneer is much thicker than the store-bought variety I'm not sure about the bect way to glue it. I'm thinking of using the new Titebond cold press glue. Should I use veneer tape, or with such thick veneer can I just spread the glue out, position the veneer, and put in the press to dry?
Bob

Care to share that technique? I'd love to have some.
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net wrote:

I'd use tape since the purpose of tape is to align and hold the veneer edges so you can glue them together before gluing all to whatever.
I have questions, not answers.
1. How you makin' veneer? 2. How many 1/16th" slices do you get from some good figure before you get to plain looking wood?
The reason I ask # 2 is I never seem to se a QS WO board that has even similar pattern on each side and I'm mostly dealing w/ 4/4. Also, I resawed a piece of 4/4 and the figure at the center of the board was very different than at either face. In fact b y the time I sanded out my saw marks you can hardly tell the two pieces are bookmatched. I actually though I screwwed up and reversed onpiece but realized it was just that the patter changed so quickly.