Gloat - maybe, and a question on Leigh D4

There was unfortunately a fire - somewhere. As a result an insurance company sold a large block of water-damaged woodworking tools at salvage prices (BTW everything's sold already). I was in the right place at the right time and was able to acquire a Leigh D4 jig and the manual (a little waterlogged though) for $41.00.

The down side is that any bits, collets or bushings there might have been were separated so I don't have those. Also any adjustment tools or addons are missing as well.

My questions:

Other wreck discussions mention that some vendors sell 'kits' of bits for the D4. What's my best option to get a useful, if minimal, set of bits, bushings and collets? Any specific manufacturer or size bits you would recommend?

I will be using a Bosch 1619 plunge router probably. I have both half and quarter inch collets, but sounds like I should get an 8mm sleeve and use 8mm bits. True?

Do I need some special bushings for the D4 or will standard PC-type bushings work? I have some PC-style bushings and the adapter for the Bosch. I'll have to unstick the manual pages to read through it and check that out unless some of you have some quicker answers.

Thanks

Reply to
PCProffitt

"PCProffitt" snip

snip

I purchased the Lee Valley kit (16J03.20) and was dissapointed. Sorry Robin. I did not have the bits I needed for the projects I was working on. I then purchased the Leigh kit 5116-8 from Leigh directly. Works Great.

True They are in the Leigh Kit.

Getting the router bushing concentric is VERY important to perfectly fitting/repeatable joints. Don't skimp on these and test them.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

Leigh has their manuals in pdf form online. Go to

and then go to technical help. If you call or e-mail them and explain your situation I'm sure they will sell you what you need. They've been very helpful whenever I needed them.

Reply to
Charley

$41 may not look like such a deal after buying the accessory pieces separately that otherwise come with the D4.

From memory, I recall that the D4 comes with a bar to enable making sliding dovetails, a screwdriver with a square drive point some bits and possibly some other minor items. Plus a nice sprial bound manual.

Collets and bushings are separate. I use whatever bushings the router I choose to use needs. I also use 8mm bits and have an 8mm collet for my Bosch router. I also have an adaptor.

Reply to
George Max

Well you do not need all the bits unless you doing a W I D E cariety of joints in a W I D E variety of board thicknesses. FIr the standard DT's regular guide bushings work just fine. If you have the F1 gig also you will need the Leigh tapered bushings.

The 'Kits" IIRC update the older Leigh DT jigs to have the same convenience as the later model.

Yes the 8mm are much stronger than the 1/4".

Yes If you have the correct diameter.bushing and are using them only for DT'S.

I'll have to unstick the manual pages to read through it and

As Charlie mentioned look at the Leigh site to down load the manual. Or buy the manual. It is a very well written book with hundreds of illustrations. The manual will tell exactly which bits to use for different thicknesses of wood. IIRC if you can use a standard DT bit if you are making Blind DT's but you have to use the correct angle bits for through DT's.

Reply to
Leon

Actually $41 is pretty cheap compared to almost $400 in my book.

The D4 also comes with the capability of making blind and through dove tails.

$25 to $30.

I use whatever bushings the router

Reply to
Leon

You suck.

Whiteside from Routerbits.com is my choice. Size depends on the thickness of the material, etc.

So some say. I'm using the 1/4" in my DW 625.

They will work.

When I bought my D4 it came with a video that is a very good adjunct to the excellent manual.

Remove the *'s from my email address.

Wes

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Let me start off with a obligatory "You Suck".

MCLS Woodworking has bits that they advertise are for the Leigh Jig. I believe I've also seen collet reducers in their catalogue or on line. Just a disclaimer - I've never used any of these bits for the Leigh Jig that they advertise, so I have no idea if they work or not. I have bought other bits, and tools from them, and found the quality to generally be very good, and the price to be way less than other stores/manufacturers (they are somehow associated with Penn State Industries). Their shipping/delivery is usually very reliable - probably not as good as Lee Valley, but close.

$41 for a D4....Man, you DO SUCK!! :)

Nick B

Reply to
Nick Bozovich

Call Leigh 1(800)663-8932

Tell them what you have and you can get the necessary parts from them. The last time I called them I had the parts in 3 days to Denver. For any major parts like templates buy from one of the suppliers listed on the web page and you'll save money but Leigh is the best place to get odd replacement parts.

The collet depends on the router. You can buy from leigh but you don't need to.

Router bits depend > There was unfortunately a fire - somewhere. As a result an insurance

Reply to
william kossack

Yes, $41 is cheap compared to $400. On that we both agree. The problem comes when you must buy all the little bits that otherwise come with a full D4 "kit."

My point is that that big savings *may* be seriously reduced by having to buy those parts separately. Parts and accessories usually cost significantly more when bought individually rather than part of a set.

BTW, even if the savings turns out to be less than it initially appears, a buyer of a D4 just can't go wrong. This is truly a marvelous jig.

Reply to
George Max

I have had the D4 for 6 plus years. The D4 that I bought brand new in the box required the single straight bit and single DT bit to make through and blind DT's in 3/4" and smaller material. There are optional bit sets for use on thicker wood and for having DT's that allow different spacing however they are not necessary for normal joints in 3/4" stock. I buy the extra bits for special situations as I need them but probably have not spent more than $100 for all the bits that I use on the D4 and the F1 jig.

Agreed, and especially if you also have any of the extra templates like the F1.

Reply to
Leon