Porter Cable 8529 2HP rpouter opinion for Leigh D4 use

I'm thinking about getting the PC 8529 2 HP Plunge Router from Amazon Tool Crib for 1.99.99 minus the $25 off offer equals 174.99 with free shipping & no tax. I want to use it on my Leigh D4 dovetail jig. I was wondering what your opinions are for use on the Leigh? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Ace

I use my PC 690 on the Leigh D4 and it works great. No reason to expect the new router they sell won't work fine, too, but I've never used it. I also use the DeWalt 625 PK (I think that's the model #) with it, too, and that works great as well. Honestly, as long as you have a good set of guide bushings and a good router base you should have no problems regardless of the router.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

The only problem you could have is if the bit is not centered in the guide bushings. I check my 690 occationally just to make sure and if it is I loosen the base plate and adjust it over to center the bit.

If the bit is not centered you need to hold the router at exactly the same anle for each cut otherwise the fit will never be right. Then also the edges of the boards will not line up perfectly (this will also happen if your boards are not perfectly square which is another problem I had).

My first router was a ryobi. I stuggled with my D4 until I realized what the source of the problem was. The center of the bit would change as I moved it up and down. It was a $70 piece of junk but I still use it with round over bits etc to take the edge off a board.

Ace wrote:

Reply to
william kossack