Gloat - dumpster diving find

Well I was out to get a new plug for the weed wacker when I noticed in the Door and Mill shop next door were two hollow core doors in the dumpster.
Went over and found they has some minor scuffing but totally together. Each one was 6x2. One will be a shop bench/whatever and the other might be a model train layout table.
Total cost - ZERO!
Come, give it up - it's a gloat - NO?
MJ Wallace

I few months ago I rescued a solid core door, that I use for an assembly table, plus a small dry marker board, in perfect shape. The dry marker board was 4 ft x 9 ft! I donated the marker board to my employer. Greg
snipped-for-privacy@onebox.com wrote in

At Thanksgiving time, I needed 'aux table space' for the crowd that was coming. The 'oops pile' at the local doormaking shop yielded 3 nice solid core (fire rated) birch doors for $30.
One is now my supplemental bench top. Another is the benchtop at my dad's place in Lake County. The third became a gloat for a member of the woodworker's club, because I was tired of moving it around to get to the stack of sheet goods in the garage-turned-shop/studio.
Gloat? Well, _I_ didn't have to crawl in the dumpster. ;-)
Seriously, these are good, useful things. Maybe I'll go scrounge a hollow core for an assembly table for temp use.
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

And with two nice cabinets underneath you have a large sewing machine table for the wife. My aunt had her sewing machine set up on a hollow door with two large packing boxes underneath - put winter blankets in the boxes for the summer and winter stuff in the boxes for the summer. Move the sewing machine and it becomes the best place to cut out patterns.
Josie
A doctor friend of our daughter and son-in-law are building a very nice home about 2 miles from ours. We dropped by a week or so ago to check out progress and noticed the home was being trimmed in maple. As we were leaving I saw some pieces sticking out of the contractors dumpster. I didn't have to dig much at all to come up with some spotless pieces of Maple. We left with about ten board feet of maple in sizes ranging from small to 5" x 3 feet long. Good project wood.
Knowing how this guy likes to spend money I think I'll suggest he trim his next house in walnut.
RonB
RonB wrote:

Whatsamatta, the guy don't like Rosewood? Cocobolo? Teak?
Ah, well. One man's trash can STILL be another man's treasure!
Oh, BTW, you suck!<g>
I got this stuff behind a kitchen and bath place. Mostly particle board(a.k.a. termite barf) and a enclosure made of p.b. Plus a third sheet of luan(?) ply. The ply will make some nice drawer bottoms and the p.b. mounts for some of my objet d'art. I left behind a pine pallet...have too much of that stuff so I didn't dig it out.
http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/dumpmay61big.jpg
Larry
--
Columbia, MO