Weed Wacker advice needed

Which weedwacker would be the best choice,Coordless or Gas Powered ?

Reply to
desgnr

I've had them all. Liked but did not make sense to buy a $50 replacement battery for something that cost $50. Now I use corded for stuff close to house and gas powered for areas further away.

Reply to
Frank

How much use will it have a month in minutes, what are you cutting, easy low horizontal edging thats a few minutes or big weeds and edging a lawn using the sting verticaly for 30 minutes a week, are you good with motors. For 5-10 minutes a week a battery unit can work, batteries may last only 2-4 years so check replacement costs and you wont have the power of gas. For a gas unit that will last, cut anything, be easy to start and reliable get an Echo. Gauge of line is important, I have a straight shaft Echo that has thick thick line, maybe .120, and it cuts and cuts without wasting time with putting in new line edging grass and hitting the concrete. I have an electric with real thin line that wont last a minute if I hit a fence, so the gauge of wire is important or you could waste more time spooling line than cutting. For battery units B&D is not only the cheapest but cheaply made and the bateries too. Read reviews on battery units if you go that route, but Ryobi battery stuff is good for the money, I have the cordless bush trimmer, [ I returned the B&D unit] its good for 10 minute lightweight cutting and Ryobi has alot of different tools. I dont use my battery weed wacker anymore, its to slow, doesnt run long enough, the line is to thin and breaks every few minutes, but for a real small yard of easy trimming it could be what you want. HD has a 30 day no questions return policy so try something. There are alot of brands out there, and alot of stuff thats not going to last, Echo is a bit more money but its commercial quality of the highest grade and it will be your last unit, they are made to be fixed unlike other brands.

Reply to
ransley

I have a 4-cycle gas trimmer that works quite well. It's easy to start and I don't have to keep oil-gas mix around just for it. I bought the edger and a blower attachment for it that work quite well.

Reply to
keith

Electric weed wackers, whether cordless or corded, are very weak compared to ANY gas powered unit. I've owned both. My latest unit is by far the best, and it was relatively inexpensive. It's a 4-stroke Cub Cadet. MUCH easier to start than any two stroke I've owned, and I don't have to mix oil and gas. It is also a lot quieter and seems to have much greater torque. It is SLIGHTLY heavier than my previous

2-stroke weed wackers, but it has not proved to be a problem. The weight difference is slight, and it more than offset by all the advantages.
Reply to
salty

Depends on how much weed-wackin you are going to do. If it's just trimming grass along a walkway/driveway I'm happy using one of those Black and Decker Grass Hog rechargeable trimmers. It has an automatic charger that you just leave plugged in until you need to use it. Automatic string feed also that actually works. I bought one to keep at my mom's house so I didn't have to drag one of my gas trimmers with me when I went to mow her lawn. Here at home I have a large wooded lot so a gas trimmer was a better choice because of weeds and small tree seedlings etc... My two gas blowers and trimmers are Echo. Only had a problem with the backpack blower getting some crap in the carb. I was able to clean it out myself. These are all around 7 years old now.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

Too many factors involved ( how much elect. cord do you have, are you too old to even hold up a gas weedwhacker, how big an area do you plan on weedwhackeing, do you know how to start one, do you even know how to use one, and ect.) for anybody on here to make that decision for you. Life must be a bitch when you can't make a decision as minor as this one. Who runs your life on the important shit?

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

Do yourself a favor and test your battery to get long life out of it. If that battery is warm, above say 75f in a 70f room, its overcharging and cooking the battery to an earleir death, another better test is voltage, take it off the charger when charged, very quickly put a good digital meter on it that registers .01v if you see it drop in 30 seconds and continue to see it drop over minutes, it in in fact being overcharged and cooking the battery from over voltage. B&D is famous for this on all older " leave them in the charger" tools Ive seen. 2 methods I know of are used to detect peak charge, and immediatly stop the charger, one is voltage drop that is where the voltage peaks then drops maybe .10 v and is accurate. The second is a temp sensor that detects a hot battery then stops the charge, its not so good. A room temp battery is what you want , even in usage.

Reply to
ransley

Hand clippers with a long handle would work as good as a cordless.

Reply to
LSMFT

Get one high quality corded WITH heavy cord, and one high quality gas/oil mix, like Shindaiwa. Never look back.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B