Gloat

Some of you may recall that I've been coveting a Festool Domino. I've seen several on eBay go for nearly the price of a new one and the asking price on CL has been around $800.

So, last night I posted a WTB ad on my local CL and had a response this morning. Just got back from the seller (100 miles each way) and my Domino was ... $450 plus a quarter tank of gas. Ask and ye shall receive!

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

several on eBay go for nearly the price of a new one and the asking price on CL has been around $800.

morning. Just got back from the seller (100 miles each way) and my Domino was ... $450 plus a quarter tank of gas. Ask and ye shall receive!

Gloats like this tend to make up for "scrots" like Peachtree, eh?

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Nicely done, Larry. If I had a job at hand that I could use it for, I might drop the $500.

Now I am looking for a good trim nailer to replace one that just died. It was about 15 years old and only had a hundred thousand plus or so nails through it (so very low mileage - not a SPOT on my other guns) and apparently the internal piston bumper just go old and soft and gave way.

But if I had an excuse to buy a Domino machine, I would buy it and get Leon to show me his many tips and tricks. He makes it look fun and creative, plus the stuff he turns out with it is truly unique.

I NEVER see them used, though.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 21:14:55 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Then you should consider being a little proactive. Many tool dealers run Festool days and/or classes where you can go in and actually use your desired tool, such as a Domino.

Once you're able to experience how truly easy it is to use the Domino, it opens your mind to all sorts of possibilities.

Reply to
Dave

seen several on eBay go for nearly the price of a new one and the asking pr ice on CL has been around $800.

orning.  Just got back from the seller (100 miles each way) and my Domino was ... $450 plus a quarter tank of gas.  Ask and ye shall receive!

I'm sure you'll really be happy with it. It's completely taken over much of my joinery. Since I've gotten my Domino I've used my mortising machine only for cutting square holes in breadboard ends, and I haven't used my table saw tenoning jig at all. I'm not all that innovative, but I have also used the Domino to cut slots for "buttons" to hold down table tops.

Let us know how you're doing with it.

Joel

Reply to
joeljcarver

Hmmm.... strongly considering telling you exactly what to do.

If I wanted a damn Domino I would buy one. As a contractor, I don't need to buy a $1000 tool to build a hobby around, nor do I need it to open my mind to the possibilities found when using it.

Proactive my ass.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 22:15:39 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

My message wasn't an attack or criticism in any way. But, that's how you want to take it so GFY.

Reply to
Dave

Good deal! CL rocks for good deals if you are patient!

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

several on eBay go for nearly the price of a new one and the asking price on CL has been around $800.

morning. Just got back from the seller (100 miles each way) and my Domino was ... $450 plus a quarter tank of gas. Ask and ye shall receive!

You SUCK!! :-)

Congratulations...

Reply to
woodchucker

Lol. There are none so blind as those who will not see. Plus, the discussion in question is about a $450 tool. Why so angry? You're never too old to try something new...just too close-minded. JP

Reply to
JayPique

in question is about a $450 tool. Why so angry? You're never too old to try something new...just too close-minded.

Bullshit assumptions to add fuel to the fire?

There can be no argument that Dave's first sentence was irrelevant to the point Robert was making; and even totally unnecessary to the point Dave himself was trying to make.

Had that one sentence, with seeming condescension magnified by an unfortunate choice of adverb, been left out it would have been end of story.

Try it ...

Reply to
Swingman

Try what? JP

Reply to
JayPique

You maybe right, I'm not going to go back and reread what I wrote to see where I pissed him off. But, the comment was placed without any malice whatsoever. And that's where I'll leave it.

Reply to
Dave

Working on your reading comprehension, for starters.

Reply to
Swingman

lol... Why so worked up? You don't even have a dog in the fight.

Reply to
JayPique

You will also want to add working on your demonstrated inability to make reasonable assumptions.

Reply to
Swingman

Oh crap. It was only a matter of time before someone picked up on my demon strated inability to make reasonable assumptions. That raw nerve has plagu ed me for years. So which is it - you're not worked up, or you do have a d og in the fight? Regardless, I concede to your superior wit and repartee.

Nice install of those Home Depot cabinets on your homepage, btw.

Reply to
JayPique