Glass

Page 1 of 2
I am in the middle of a large project again, yes more towers. ;!) I am building a pantry for our new home, It stands 8' tall and will be about 8' wide when completed. Thgis is going to be a country style pantry, it will have glass cabinet doors that expose the can goods inside.
Originally I was thinking clear glass but have come to think that glass that defuses the image of the contents of the pantry might be better. I still want to be to identify what is behind the 4 doors but might not want to see with great clarity until the doors are open. We want the colors of what is in the cabinet to show through.
Any thoughts?
I am considering non glare but was wondering if there might be a spray or something that might accomplish the same thing.
On 10/31/11 1:10 PM, Leon wrote:

Sounds good, acid etching is possible, but very hard to achieve uniform results. Call around some local glass shops, ask about frosted glass, (it is similar to some glass shower doors) go visit, and take a couple tin cans with labels with you, see if it is the effect you want.
--
Froz...

(Hey, Swingy. Just how short IS Leon?)

How quaint.

Sandblasted glass takes on fingerprints more easily than gloss glass and it's a lot harder to clean. I recommend against it.
How about an application of privacy film to the glass, maybe in Rice Paper? http://goo.gl/xwKsA It would be easier to clean while adding both class and functionality. Use the thickest stuff you can find. That Gila gold sunblocking film is ghastly to work with. When (not if) it wrinkles, it takes the color with it, leaving nasty voids.
Maybe look for frosted shelf paper. It's thicker. http://goo.gl/VLGdR http://goo.gl/FmBsQ or http://goo.gl/2Wu1G , and consider a wooden frame around the glass doors.
-- Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
On 10/31/2011 11:08 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

you can spray lacquer on sand blasted glass which makes fingerprint removal not a problem. heating it to 1225 for 8 minutes also gives you a satin finish on blasted glass that doesn't show any fingerprints.

there are literally hundreds of different, but clear, patterned glasses. a stained glass store will have some of them that they'd probably cut to size for you for a very small fee. a place that provides window glass would have catalogs of architectural pattern glass for perusal, but they'd probably only have a few on hand. the rest they could order.
regards, charlie http://glassartists.org/ChaniArts
On 10/31/2011 1:18 PM, chaniarts wrote:

I actually used to do stained glass, and am aware of those alternatives but I have a lot of glass to buy, 15 x 39, 4 times and 15 x 15, 4 times. I have considered glue chip glass but that might draw too much attention and antique glass would be a cool alternative.
On 10/31/2011 3:13 PM, Leon wrote:

In case you haven't noticed, the cabinets in the kitchen have glue chip glass; and the doors in the corner cabinet in the dining room has antique glass.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 11/1/2011 10:03 AM, Swingman wrote:

I think I recall the glue chip, the antique is so subtle I may not have noticed.
On 10/31/2011 1:08 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
> wrote: > >> I am in the middle of a large project again, yes more towers. ;!) I am > > (Hey, Swingy. Just how short IS Leon?)
4' 24"
Now you are talking, I'll check into that. I was hoping for an add on.
> > Maybe look for frosted shelf paper. It's thicker. http://goo.gl/VLGdR > http://goo.gl/FmBsQ or http://goo.gl/2Wu1G , and consider a wooden > frame around the glass doors.
Thanks!

ROTFLMAO!!
Wait, WTH am I laughing at ...
On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 13:55:07 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"

Yeah, once you get it, IT SUCKS!
-- Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
There is a "frosted glass spray" available at Lowes/HD. etc.

Find and visit your local stained glass hobby shop. I found one locally and they had lots of diffused or textured glass onhand to choose from and were very nice in selling me a good set of glass cutting tools and showed me how to use them.
Once you see what you want in person, you can order online if they don't have enough stock on-hand. Just search on stained glass supplies and they also carry the diffused and textured styles.
Glass is a lot of fun to work with. I have a pending project where I will use frosted glass and I am really looking forward to it.

I use to do stained glassm foiling, leading, soldering grozing, cutting ..... but that stuff gets expensive.. I still have my glass grinder. I swear I am going to get back into that some day. ;~)
Leon wrote:

Yes there is. You can get matte lacquer in rattle cans. One brand is McDonalds, used to use it to spray photographic prints. It comes in "retouching" (very matte with a tooth), matte, semigloss and gloss. You can also make your own by adding talc to lacquer.
Of course, there is sand blasting. And if you want to do it yourself (I wouldn't) you can use emery powder with some oil and grind with another piece of glass. Takes a while...I know because I needed a sizeable piece for a camera; tried hydrofluoric acid first, all it did was eat the glass.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 10/31/2011 2:23 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Ah yes!!! I use to spray some thing like that on my drafting drawings way back when and later sprayed on pictures that I developed and enlarged.

I am looking for something simple and reversible in case I don't like it

I know they have films for tinting. I suppose they have films for diffusing glass. Google finds this http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Residential/Fasara_Decorative_Window_Films/Fabric-Frost-Mat_Patterns/
On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 14:14:49 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"

Also:
http://www.wallpaperforwindows.com/pc/Etched-Glass-Window-Film-c37.htm
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
On 10/31/2011 6:11 PM, Nova wrote:

Boy Ask and you shall receive. Thank you Nova!
On 11/1/2011 6:01 AM, Leon wrote:

I especially like the MARIJUANA one near the bottom. LOL

I'da thunk you'da went fer the light frost or ever leaf pattern, but that's only because they didn' have a Dueling Sawblades pattern.
This is a case where the feminine choice may be the key, right?
-- When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire. -- Whoopi Goldberg