Getting a bit straight in a cordless drill keyless chuck

Hello,
Just wondering - how easy is it to mount a known-straight bit or rod straight into a keyless chuck?
I usually have to loosen-adjust-retighten the bit into the chuck maybe a half dozen times before a brad point spins straight without noticeable wobble at the bit tip.
The drill I'm using is a Makita MForce 14.4v with 1/2in Rohm chuck (6337DWDE). It's new.
Thanks!
- Daniel
Your chuck is crooked. I think that one in a hundred times I get a drill bit chucked wrong the first time. Typically only on a tiny bit too. This is true for all of the dozens of drills I have used. 6 times is ridiculous. If it is new, take it back.
-Jack

Daniel wrote:

[snip]
Set the drill to the slowest speed and start saying some bad words on about the third try.     mahalo,     jo4hn
this is kinda hard to describe in words but here goes
I am right handed I hold the drill in my right hand pointing up
drop the drill in the chuck I have My left thumb and fore finger on the drill bit I touch the trigger to get the drill turning slow I let My fore finger and thumb align the drill at teh same time I am squeezeing the chuck bock with my pinkie and ring finger ti ghetn up the chuck when it all looks good I stop the drill moter and finish tightening by hand
thsi is just a reflex action I had to stop and think about the steps to write it down its something you just have to see try it with a wooden dowl til you get the hang of it so you don't chew up your hands
DAMHIKT (dont Ask Me How I Know this )
On 17 Jul 2003 08:55:03 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (Daniel) wrote:

Given that the drill comes with a keyless chuck, you may have to drill the 3 holes for the key.. ;~)
Many 1/2" drill chucks do not go down to tiny and are better suited for 1/8" and larger. If you are using a small bit, try closing the chuck all the way and then opening until the bit will just slip in between the jaws, then tighten.