G0555 tension release, how much?

Hello, my first post. I've done some searching but didn't find what I was looking for.
How much tension is the tension release lever supposed to release? Enough so you can change the blade or just some tension so it's not so tight? Mine barely seems to let any tension off at all. I have the risers on this, so I don't know if that makes a difference. I've also bought it used and only used it maybe twice before putting the risers on. I can't quite recall, but I _think_ it used to release all the tension before I put the blocks on. Maybe it's just wishful thinking.
I might be posting some more questions in the future. Hopefully they won't be too stupid, but I've never owned my own power tools before, so I'm sure things will come up. For example, I'm picking up a Grizzly 24" drum sander this weekend from a co-worker. I'm pretty certain I might need help with that sucker sooner or later.
Thanks, B

I think you're probably right.
My G0555 seems to release "most" of the tension. The blade is loose, but not loose enough to fall off the wheels.
Gus wrote:

My (chinese) delta 14" came with a tension release lever. It's enough to take off the blade. That would be annoying if I couldn't. So close yet so far. Maybe a new stiffer spring would fix the problem?
brian
Gus wrote:

Hmm... Mine doesn't even do that. I'll have to look into this further, but everything seems to be set up ok.
bbeardb wrote:

Last night I put on the riser. Before it went on, with a 93 1/2" blade the tension release lever would release enough tension to remove the blade. After I put the riser on the release lever no longer releases enough tension to remove the 105" blade.
Not to mention I lost the spring that pushes the bb against the guide post. Sigh.
Damian
bbeardb wrote:

I can't answer for your particular saw, but I bought the Carter Quick Release for my used Jet a few months ago.
It has three settings: "tightened", "released", and "change the blade". In Released, it's pretty loose. If I had to I bet I could work the blade off the wheels. In Blade Change setting the blade's barely touching the wheels.
I always figured you wanted at least most of the tension off the blade so you didn't force your tension spring to spend too much time at full tension. As long as that spring isn't being squeezed, I'd figure it was okay.
bbeardb wrote:

I think the reason is that pre riser the saw takes a 93 1/2" blade, after the riser you use a 105" blade but you've added 12" to the path the blade takes so you lose that 1/2" of give.