FWW furniture building contest

Has anyone decided to take part in the FWW furniture building contest?
If your not familiar the rules are pretty basic. Must be Maple. Should be built from one 10in x 10ft x 8/4 piece or not more than 17bf of separate boards. Can be curly, birdseye, hard or soft but only Maple. It can be dyed and stained.
I wish it was a wood I had better luck with finishing. I just can't feature that stark white clean lacquer on Maple thing. I make butcher tops but very few whole Maple pieces ever. I guess it's time to start doing some sketches and learning how to get some color and character into that stuff if I want to win.
BW
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:48:09 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"

Use tiger and dye it:
<
http://www.dargate.com/241_auction/241_images/1669.jpg

Water-based 'stain' works fairly well but doesn't penetrate more than the thickness of a wisp of smoke so it is tough to buff out between finish coats.
Even better is following up the dye with BLO to give the grain depth. But I agree it is a PITA.
Good luck, you'll have to let me know if you win cause I don't subscribe yet.