FWIW Kickback

Page 2 of 2

I don't recall being involved in that discussion, but I could be wrong. I've always been of the opionon that slight fence toe out, within reason, won't make a tinker's damn with regard to the cut, or precision of same... did I say otherwise?

A bug by another name ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Just as I thought.
BTDT, glad to hear you're not permanently damaged!
Barry

down
OK, we all know a sled it best. I've done this sort of thing though, but have take a different approach. I set the fence (allowing for kerf or course) for the short dimension. In your case, it would have been about 18" to leave the 30" needed.
I don't look at the gap at all. I look at the wood against the fence while pushing VERY hard with two hands to keep it there. I push it completely past the blade and turn the saw off. After the blade stops I'll pick up the waste on the outfeed table and the good piece on the left extension.
I'm not advocating this method. A panel sled is the way to go. Ed
Rich wrote:

Better get started on that crosscut sled. I was ripping some warped 5/4 fir with no splitter when I heard a noise and turned my head to look over my left shoulder. At that moment, the saw grabbed the stock and flung it into my stomach sideways with enough force to knock the wind out of me. It left a nice rectangular bruise, and a served as a reminder of the awesome horsepower of a 3hp saw.
-- -linux_lad To verify that this post isn't forged, click here: http://www.spoofproof.org/verify.php?sig a429e796bd5b208397c80e6f4c6349
-linux_lad wrote:

Awesome horsepower? you want to see awesome horsepower? Get kicked in the face by a horse. Now that's only about 1/4 horsepower. Makes your whack in the stomach a stroll in the park.

Rich.. Been there. done that. Except I was cutting 3/4 inch ply. Peeled the top of one finger down to the tendon. That REALLY smarts. Got stitched up and a little wiser now. Warren

OUCH! Hey at least you got some scars to impress the ladies, tough guy. hehe.
Rich