Funny looking stuff in the lacquer

Bought these just about a month ago. Been in the house (not froze) both cans look like this. whadda you LACQUER users think?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9352919/IMG_3930.jpg
--
Steve Barker
On 1/16/2011 11:54 AM, Steve Barker wrote:

failed to mention, it looks like little white fluffy particles like eggdrop soup or some crap like that.
--
Steve Barker
On 1/16/2011 12:12 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

Is it satin or semi-gloss lacquer? If so, that's probably the de-glossing goop that needs to be fully mixed in before use. If it's straight gloss then I don't know what you're dealing with, but it ain't right.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
On 1/16/2011 12:22 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

straight gloss. Minwax brand
--
Steve Barker
On 1/16/2011 12:12 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

Well it is high gloss minwax brand. I stirred and stirred, but to no avail. My older cans were not like this, but they were cold, so i went ahead and used it. Seems ok. It's a mystery i guess.
--
Steve Barker
On 1/16/2011 4:14 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

I've never seen anything like that in a can of gloss lacquer before, but I always use Deft brand. Did you try running it through a strainer?
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
On 1/16/2011 4:16 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

nope, i didn't. guess i'll have to start opening them in the store and looking at them.
--
Steve Barker

Could be coagulated matting compound. I have seen this before. Usually silica. That can be mixed back with no problem. Watch out that you don't suspend a zillion micro-airbubbles during the mixing. As seor Turner pointed out, if it is supposed to be high-gloss, then I dunno either.

I have some (just bought) lacquer hi build sanding sealer. Looks the same way until stirred up. Works fine. WW

I would add that I always strain any finish going into a spray gun. If mixing does not make it go away, the straining will get it out.
It could be that a thin skim developed on the surface. Sometimes the stuff sits or a while or is stored where it is too hot or cold, as it makes it's way from the point of manufacture to your hands.
--
Jim in NC