Funny stuff in F&E tank

I recently flushed out my CH system [1] and renewed the inhibitor - 4 litres of Fernox MB1, most of which I poured into a radiator, but also put some in the F&E tank, as suggested on the bottle.

At the same time I made a new (not airtight, but getting on for) lid for the F&E tank out of a piece of perspex. This was about 3 week ago.

Yesterday I noticed some funny stuff floating on the surface of the water. It looks like a cross between mould and frog-spawn. When you remove it, it compresses like wet tissue or cotton wool.

Anyone got any idea what it might be, and of the likely consequences? I've removed this batch, using a tea strainer, but it will probably come back.

[1] In case it's relevant, I didn't use any flushing chemicals but I did take all the rads off and wash them out with a hosepipe, and I flushed the pipes out by opeing each radiator valve in turn (with the rad off!) until the water ran clean. I also flushed the main flow and return loop between boiler and airing cupboard.
Reply to
Roger Mills

Did the tank once have a plastic.. wrapped insulation around it. If so could be the insulation material. Mine was light brown, fibrous and a bugger to clean out.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

No - not in the last 30 years, anyway! It's a circular tank which had an ill-fitting sheet of asbestos resting on the top. I've replaced this with a sheet of perspex which fits properly. Quite a few large water droplets (presumably condensation) collect on the underside of the perspex. I'm wondering whether I should put some insulation over the top?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes.

You really need to ensure that this water doesn't reach the edge of the tank and sneak out due to capillary action and run down the outside making the supporting timber permenantly damp and thus a nice home for rot or worm...

As for the brown slime I don't know what it is but it's in my F&E tank and appeared very quickly. The system is again old and I don't think had any inhibitor in it until I drained it down changed some of the plumbing and dosed it. It might be some form of anerobic bacteria or algae (but I think algae need light).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Dave Liquorice" wrote

Talk to Fernox This is likely to be a fungal type growth which is readily treatable with a Fernox additive to your header tank. No I don't work for Fernox, but my FIL and I have both had similar problems. Describe your findings to the Fernox tech guys (who are pretty good), they will point you in the right direction

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Or google... Useful info on the fermox site:

Sentinel don't appear to have a biocide product.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
Roger Mills