More on tung oil and stain

Can't find the thread now in which this was being discussed, but just got around to putting some tung oil (that's 100 percent raw tung oil, not one of the "tung oil finishes" with no tung oil in them) on the piece I stained with Varathan, and I was surprised that some of the stain came off on the rag.

So we have a further complication--tung oil to some extent dissolves Varathane stains.

No bubbling or anything though.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Any oil based stain is going to leave some free residue and you may be also surprised how long it takes to dry completley.

Oil based stains are pigment floating in oil. The oil acts as a binder such that as it dries it holds the pigment in place. Oils can be slow to dry, even though they all have driers to help things along. Varathane is a soy oil based stain. This is I suppose a fairly new concept and maybe not as well tested as the hundreds of years of more traditional. How long does soy oil take to dry? How well does it bind and hold the pigment. Before fully cured I would imagine any oil will would free up some of the pigment.

If you are really worried about it, I would wait until you think the stain is dry, then give it a good wipe down with mineral spirits or whatever solvent varathane reccomends for clean up. I am sure you will see some color come free.

I wouldn't worry about it. The Tung, if you didn't add driers or at least mineral spirits will take a week or more to fully dry dry aloso. Maybe more.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I'm not worried at all, this was a follow up to a question someone posed.

Reply to
J. Clarke