Florida bookcase tragedy

Page 1 of 3
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6185854.stm
bloody hell. Thats one of the maddest things i've heard in a long time.
Theres probably a lesson to be learnt, but i've no idea what!
Barry www.woodworking.wizkids.co.uk
" snipped-for-privacy@muckleshed.com" wrote:

Well, if it happened in the UK there would probably be an uproar to ban bookcases. Never heard anywhere else insane enough to even talk about banning kitchen knives. Damn, those 15" razor sharp planer knives must be banned already, better hide them...

No....wait....**BookCaseStop**....! This is not just fingers, this device would save lives Come on - lets get behind this.
Joe Bemier wrote:

As of today, any bookcase I design will have an escape hatch.
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 00:58:54 -0500, Bill in Detroit wrote:

Just as an engineering exercise, it might be interesting to figure out how to design a bookcase that prevented this risk while not standing a ludicrous distance from the wall or presenting a tipping hazard.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
J. Clarke wrote:

Attach it to the wall with screws driven behind the shelving or French cleats?
It sounds like it must already have been several inches from the wall because 1) the object she was fishing out fell behind it and 2) when she fell behind it, it did not tip.
How is it that an entire human being could get wedged back there and NOT tip it? The only possibility that comes to mind is that the bookshelf was fairly deep.
I still think that this one deserves close scrutiny by the coroner.
Mon, Nov 27, 2006, 3:18pm snipped-for-privacy@online.com (BillinDetroit) doth sayeth: <snip> I still think that this one deserves close scrutiny by the coroner.
I find it hard to imagine that any size bookcase 6' tall couldn't be pretty easily tipped.
This "adjusting the TV plug" sticks in my mind. If the electrical plug is what's meant I've never seen any plug higher off the floor then a foot or so, at least not in a bedroom or other living space anyway.
I agree.
JOAT Democratic justice. One man, one rock.
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:18:30 -0500, Bill in Detroit wrote:

How do you reach the plug behind it?

She wasn't "fishing out an object", she was plugging something in or unplugging something.

The main point is that it was far enough from the wall to accommodate an electrical plug. This would be one of the design criteria for the exercise, that there be some provision for dealing with electrical outlets behind the bookcase.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Remove the _Life of Thomas Edison_ and reveal the direct path to the plug?
I've got one where the plug is behind Clay Blair's excellent work on US submarines in WWII, _Silent Victory_.
Doesn't take a lot of forethought if you're building the case yourself, sort of like building in the path for the cold air return underneath the grille you attached in the kick.
J. Clarke wrote:

Umm ... horizontally sliding back panels that would allow access to the existing wall outlets from the front?
"Through the back" extension cords that plugged into the hidden wall outlet and provided a more accessible outlet as part of the bookcase carcase? (Possibly through a bottom or back skirt. Side view below.)
----------- | | | |--------| | | | | |--------|x| | |x|~~~~~~(= X ------------ X | xx | | ------------
Bill
--
Life is like playing a violin in public and learning the instrument as
one goes on.
Bill in Detroit wrote:

Or it was fully loaded, and maybe set into an alcove. Very probably she was anorectic and physically weak.

Pete C. wrote:

Hummm, my recently aquired hedgers slasher, 10" blade 40" haft, and now well sharpened, was a good buy, probably be banned next year. Welcome to the UK, truely band-it country.
On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 23:58:53 GMT, "badger.badger"

Maybe you just need to convince the gov't that it is a utensil required for religious ceremony by the RoP. The government will be guarenteed to keep their hands off then. [only slight sarcasm]
Sun, Nov 26, 2006, 8:09pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@mtavirgin.net (TimW) did post a story:
Sounds like BS - or a troll - to me. When's the last time you've seen a bookcase out from the wall, unless someone's moved it? They called in the cops, and the cops didn't even look in her room - or notice the small - or notice the foot sticking out? IF there actually was a body behind a bookcase, and I was a cop on the case, I'd be wondering if someone had stuffed her back there.
JOAT Democratic justice. One man, one rock.
J T wrote:

It's on CNN as well:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/25/bookcase.death.ap/index.html
It's out of season for April Fools jokes too.
Pete C.
Sun, Nov 26, 2006, 10:30pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (PeteC.) doth sayeth: It's on CNN as well: <snip>
Which only proves that CNN picked up the story also. However, it is quite interesting that CNN has some thingls not included in the other story, and which do absolutely nothing to make me less suspicious. If she was that damn tiny, why not just reach behind the bookcase while standing on the floor, rather than standing on a bureau and reaching over? In my experience, it would be pretty easy to tip over a bookcase, especially with the leverage being against a wall would give you, even someone that small. And, if I walked into a room, and saw a bookcase that far from a wall, I'd go look behind it, especially with a "rat" smell coming from "somewhere"; because, if for nothing else, I'd be looking for a place to set some rat traps and/or dead rat.
Reporters have lied before; could be the case here, or someone stuffed her behind there. Or, she was actually that stupid, and died from it. I'm not a cop on the scene, so don't know. What I do know is, the information that I do have makes me suspicious that one way or another this is BS.
<quote> Family members scoured her room for clues but found nothing, although they did notice a strange smell. On Nov. 9, Weber's sister went into her bedroom and looked behind a bookcase, where she saw the woman's foot. Using a flashlight, the family saw Weber was wedged upside-down behind the unit. "I'm sleeping in the same house as her for 11 days, looking for her," her mother, Connie Weber, told the St. Petersburg Times. "And she's right in the bedroom." Both Weber and her sister previously had adjusted the television plug by standing on a bureau next to the shelf and leaning over the top. Her family believes Weber, who was 5-foot-3 and barely 100 pounds, may have fallen headfirst into the space. "She's a little thing," her mother said. "And the bookcase is 6 feet tall and solid. And she couldn't get out." <end quote>
JOAT Democratic justice. One man, one rock.
O.K. GOAT, how about you give us the full story on the O.J. thing. You're sooo smart, it should be easy for you.
Sun, Nov 26, 2006, 7:38pm (EST-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (John) doth now burble: O.K. GOAT, how about you give us the full story on the O.J. thing. You're sooo smart, it should be easy for you.
Yeah, I can tell you. No prob. He had a trial. He was found not guilty. That's all you need to know.
JOAT Democratic justice. One man, one rock.
J T wrote:

"In for a dime, in for a dollar ..." Tell the whole story.
He had a second trial under civil law. He was found guilty and ordered to pay a huge fine. He has not, to this day, paid a cent.
criminal trial required "beyond the shadow of doubt" civil trial required "preponderance of evidence"
Bill