Florida bookcase tragedy

bloody hell. Thats one of the maddest things i've heard in a long time.

Theres probably a lesson to be learnt, but i've no idea what!

Barry

barry

Well, if it happened in the UK there would probably be an uproar to ban bookcases. Never heard anywhere else insane enough to even talk about banning kitchen knives. Damn, those 15" razor sharp planer knives must be banned already, better hide them...

Reply to
Pete C.

Sun, Nov 26, 2006, 8:09pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@mtavirgin.net (Tim=A0W) did post a story:

Sounds like BS - or a troll - to me. When's the last time you've seen a bookcase out from the wall, unless someone's moved it? They called in the cops, and the cops didn't even look in her room - or notice the small - or notice the foot sticking out? IF there actually was a body behind a bookcase, and I was a cop on the case, I'd be wondering if someone had stuffed her back there.

JOAT Democratic justice. One man, one rock.

Reply to
J T
11 days with a dead body in the house and nobody smelled it??? Smells like bullshit to me.

Art

"Tim W" wrote

Reply to
WoodButcher

It's on CNN as well:

's out of season for April Fools jokes too.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

No....wait....**BookCaseStop**....! This is not just fingers, this device would save lives Come on - lets get behind this.

Reply to
Joe Bemier

Sounds like BS - or a troll - to me. When's the last time you've seen a bookcase out from the wall, unless someone's moved it? They called in the cops, and the cops didn't even look in her room - or notice the small - or notice the foot sticking out? IF there actually was a body behind a bookcase, and I was a cop on the case, I'd be wondering if someone had stuffed her back there.

I agree.. If she could not get out, why did she not scream for help? Probably the parents felt that after 38 years it was time that she moved out one way or the other.

Reply to
Leon

Read the atrticle again, slowly.

Reply to
CW

It is in the paper today, so it is not a troll. The article in our paper says that she probably fell back there trying to adjust an electric plug. If she fell down and depending on the dimensions, she could easily have been compressed enough to eliminate any yelling and quickly suffocate.

I also, can't figure out why nobody checked the room completely or noticed the foot? But, many people are completely unaware of most things about them. And, stupidity knows no bounds!

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Sounds like BS - or a troll - to me.

It's the BBC, not known for BS and if you want you can trace the original report from the Local paper - St Petersburg Chronicle or something.

tim W

Reply to
Tim W

Yeah I actually feel that she probably knocker herself out and never regained consciousness.

Yup. I do more thorough looks for less significant objects.

Reply to
Leon

Also even for more aware folks, when you are looking for a large object i.e. person, you tend not to look in small places as you would for lost keys.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

flip out shelf, an old lady trap. ;) . . . . . . . . Sorry to be so flip. If true, the womans family is very sad at this time.

Reply to
George Max

Doh!

Reply to
WoodButcher

Sun, Nov 26, 2006, 10:30pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (Pete=A0C.) doth sayeth: It's on CNN as well:

Which only proves that CNN picked up the story also. However, it is quite interesting that CNN has some thingls not included in the other story, and which do absolutely nothing to make me less suspicious. If she was that damn tiny, why not just reach behind the bookcase while standing on the floor, rather than standing on a bureau and reaching over? In my experience, it would be pretty easy to tip over a bookcase, especially with the leverage being against a wall would give you, even someone that small. And, if I walked into a room, and saw a bookcase that far from a wall, I'd go look behind it, especially with a "rat" smell coming from "somewhere"; because, if for nothing else, I'd be looking for a place to set some rat traps and/or dead rat.

Reporters have lied before; could be the case here, or someone stuffed her behind there. Or, she was actually that stupid, and died from it. I'm not a cop on the scene, so don't know. What I do know is, the information that I do have makes me suspicious that one way or another this is BS.

Family members scoured her room for clues but found nothing, although they did notice a strange smell. On Nov. 9, Weber's sister went into her bedroom and looked behind a bookcase, where she saw the woman's foot. Using a flashlight, the family saw Weber was wedged upside-down behind the unit. "I'm sleeping in the same house as her for 11 days, looking for her," her mother, Connie Weber, told the St. Petersburg Times. "And she's right in the bedroom." Both Weber and her sister previously had adjusted the television plug by standing on a bureau next to the shelf and leaning over the top. Her family believes Weber, who was 5-foot-3 and barely 100 pounds, may have fallen headfirst into the space. "She's a little thing," her mother said. "And the bookcase is 6 feet tall and solid. And she couldn't get out."

JOAT Democratic justice. One man, one rock.

Reply to
J T

O.K. GOAT, how about you give us the full story on the O.J. thing. You're sooo smart, it should be easy for you.

Reply to
John

Oh, well, if CNN says it, it must be true.

[yeah, right]

Agree with others here, this just doesn't pass the smell test (no pun intended).

Mark & Juanita

As of today, any bookcase I design will have an escape hatch.

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

St. Petersburg Times.

I read the article and the obit. I feel there is something that isn't being told. And not that it lessens the heartache for the family, but it might help explain how it happened. 38 years old, living at home, physically quite small, extremely menial job by the sound of it. I wonder if this woman had "special needs." Especially as the suspected scenario was an abduction.

But the smell part bothers me. I've had dead things in the house on two occasions. It's not a smell you can ignore. Granted, it's not always easy to track down (never did find the carcasses in either case), especially if it's a rodent, but if you have a missing person AND an odor, it seems to me it's time to tear the house apart.

Reply to
LRod