Floor sweep?

I'm getting together the hose's, blast gates, etc. for my d.c.. I'm thinking about a floor sweep Sound like it could be very useful. Anyone have one? Do you sweep about anything into it (except metal) ?
Yes. Highly recommended. If I had more room, I'd put one at each end of the shop. --dave

My shop is also my basement, rocks, metal stuff often ends up on the floor. Had my DC for years and wouldn't use it for floor pickup because of that. Finally got the drum separator and LV hose and use that on the floor all the time. So if you suspect even the possiblilty of picking up a rock or bolt, get a separator inline to catch those for sure.
-------------------- Steve Jensen Abbotsford B.C. snipped-for-privacy@canada.mortise.com chopping out the mortise. BBS'ing since 1982 at 300 bps. Surfing along at 19200 bps since 95. WW'ing since 1985 LV Cust #4114
Nothing catchy to say, well maybe..... WAKE UP - There are no GODs you fools!

Do you have a separator before the dust collector? All the cut offs, screws, what have you will be bouncing through the impeller if you don't! Greg

Think I better order one now. Chips and all that fall into the separator, right?
FWIW I have one and don't use it.
A dust pan is about as easy and it goes everywhere in the shop. If I sweep up something that I shouldn't have, it's much easier to get it back.
-Steve

thinking
Do

Don't have one, nor do I plan to. Much easier to empty a dust pan or the shop vac compared to the DC bags.
wrote in message

Yeah, me too. I work with the lathe a lot, and the big shavings just clog things. Medium chunks of wood and bark do too, especially if your hoses run up, rather than on the floor.
Silicone a couple of magnets at the back of your plastic dustpan or snow shovel to collect the nuts and washers that always drop while you're over a pile of floor junk. Shovel, shake, toss. Sometimes I don't even bother with a broom. Shovel's enough.
I have one. It comes in handy at times. I don't always use it. For fine saw dust and small shavings I use it, but not for chunky stuff. It's cheap to install, why not have it as an extra. I used silicone caulk to glue mine to the basement floor.
wrote in message

I read this and thought it was a brilliant idea. Was about to grab the dust pan, silicone and whatever I could find for magnets. Then realized that a fair amount of the metal stuff that ends up on my floor is copper, brass, aluminum and the odd bit of stainless steel.
Will still probably do it, but its not a cure all.
--
Frank Stutzman

Jimmy wrote:

My floor sweep is a Shop Vac. Even though I have a seperator before the DC, I'm not willing to chance a screw or other metal object making it into the impeller.
-jj
--
Remove BOB to email me

It works well for some folks, but I quit using one..
My neighbors take my shavings and saw dust and use it in their gardens... my shop/garage floor seems to attract things like small screws, little squares of sand paper, paper and metal scraps, etc... It's easy enough to use my dust pan on the stuff on the floor, except for the shavings under the lathe, which (hopefully) go into large plastic tubs under th bed rails..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

I need a Bobcat to clean mine. :) Perhaps if I did it more often a shovel would suffice. John