Fixing the wrong problem

Did you ever have one of those days?
The other day, I accidentally tilted the blade (well, tried to) while the zero clearance insert was in. Oops! Quickly tilted it back up, but noticed that the blade was no longer centered in the insert (I widened the hole a little to avoid the "zing" noise - I'm using the ZCI more as a better regular insert than a ZC one). It also no longer ran right against the cut edge of my crosscut sled. Damn.
No big deal, I know how to adjust the trunnion. Bad news - I can't adjust them far enough to put the blade back! Ok, what ELSE could have gone wrong? Did I bend the blade? No, that checks out. Could I have pressed the drive shaft into the cast iron? Hmmm, possible - it's off by 1/16". So, out comes the pivot shaft so I can get the drive iron out... tap, tap, tap, SPROING! Hey, am I going to need that? Where did that go? It turns out the pivot shaft was spring loaded with two "crinkle washers" both of which are now in the sawdust pile somewhere.
Oh well, found them, at least I had the drive iron out. Hmmm, the shaft and bearings ride against shoulders, no way they could have moved at all. Now I realize I can't get that piece back in with the trunnion still in the saw, so out comes the trunnion mount (er, contractor saw - they're bolted to the table) and the whole blade holder assembly comes out. Of course, there's no way I can get those two crinkle washers back in, and I even end up scratching the shaft in the attempt. Ok, a little lathe time to un-scratch it, decide to leave one of the washers out, and everything goes back together. Goes up and down a bit easier now too, small bonus.
The blade is still off. It's not straight either. Sigh, more fiddling with the trunnion - I need to at least get the blade straight again. No amount of fiddling seems to be working, it's off by about 0.025 front to back (yes, that's 25 thou).
So, I'm staring at the inside of my saw, trying to figure out what else could have gone wrong. Think, think, think. What could have happened when I tilted the blade. Ok, take the insert out, tilt the blade a few times, try to imagine it getting stuck...
Hmmm... the two ends of the trunnion assembly are held together with two steel rods. I wonder if they're loose? YANK! Yup, they're loose, and now the blade is in the right spot. Sigh. Two days fixing a five minute problem.
As a side note, I did figure out why my handle lock for the up/down handle wasn't working right. The pressure shaft was a hair too short to make contact properly, an additional washer solved that easily.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Not nearly as bad as yours. I did find out that half of 9 1/2" is NOT 4 1/4"
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Ed Pawlowski responds:

Learning from experience. I've found that out about twice in my life. I expect I'll find it out again some day when I'm a little hot, sweaty and tired and need something done right then.
So far, I've always had extra wood!
Charlie Self "Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

1/4"
expect
and
Hell, it was raining wood chips in the backyard here today.
I've been using some Spar Urethane and Oil Based primer on a project I'm finishing and I got tired of the smell. Even though I'm using a window fan and a paint mask the smell was still getting to me. So I decided to disassemble the dust sucker (1 HP on top of a garbage can with output to a dust bag on another garbage can) and drag the separator portion to my basement "finishing room". I got lazy and did not empty the chip bucket before sticking my makeshift duct out the window. When I went outside to unhook my duct from the window well, I discovered a nice wood chip semi circle extending about 15 feet from the house. The reduced back pressure on the output side of my separator allowed the blower to make the smaller pieces in the chip bucket airborne.
The last time I used the blower in this capacity, when it was still a portable unit (before I cannibalized it for my DC). I painted the neighbour's hedge white with cement dust from grinding the basement floor flat. :)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

fixing
on
<applause>
Should be more of it! :)
--
conehead
who does dumb stuff all the time but
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

with
4
I
tired
fan
a
floor
LOL. No trees were harmed in the process, the first rain cleaned them right up. I also got to build a neat water filter for the end of my blower, so I could continue my grinding without liming the neighbourhood. :)

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.