Finish for walnut block

Just a block of walnut with holes drilled in it to hold some desk stuff. Would like recommendations for an easy to do finish that has a good shine to it. I used to use Rockler's Wunder coat, I think it was, for some things I have made, but did not see it last time I was in Rockler's. So any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Paul

tiredofspam

Waterlox Original in gloss.

Why shiny, though? I prefer seeing the -wood- beneath the finish, myself.

-- We're all here because we're not all there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If you want really easy it's hard to beat the M> > Just a block of walnut with holes drilled in it to hold some desk stuff.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I would go with wipe on too. I am proof it is idiot-proof.

If you want to pop the grain up a little better you can start with boiled linseed oil, let it dry thoroughly and then follow it with poly. Both finishes are easy, dry pretty quickly and provide a very nice finish on walnut. Also, the poly is easy to touch up if minor scratches occur.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

------------------------------- Before you shoot the lacquer, apply some BLO, then wait a week before you shoot.

"Mikey likes it", so will you, IMHO.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The easiest is the can of spray lacquer you have. It is not quite as nice as shellac, shellac is perfect for walnut and maple, and is fool proof. You have to open the can, stir and apply a couple of times and steel wool it, so it is not quite as easy, but the result is spectacular.

Reply to
Jack Stein

...I do a "sample" once in-a-while and need it done reeeeeel quick. Two rattle-cans: hit it with shellac sealer/finish (I use Zinsser), wait a few minutes (or 'til it doesn't smell) and maybe touch with some 220 laying around, then lacquer (any brand handy, pick ur sheen). Some of these "samples" I still have laying around and they look great! Not to mention, your project has a bunch of holes that won't do well with either a brush *or* a wipe...love them rattle-cans...

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh

The ultimate finish for walnut is shellac, either rubbed or French polished. Orange shellac adds a nice warm tone.

Reply to
Father Haskell