Walnut finish

Hi guys, I'm just about finishing my current walnut project. Just wondering what might be the best way to finish this piece. Any tips would be appreciated from the vast experience in here.

neil

Reply to
Neil Cummins

There are many best ways depending on the look you want and the protection you need. Give us more details as to whether you need protection from spills or things being dropped on the surface. A shiny or satin finish.

Reply to
Leon

I like to use a pore filler on walnut. I use Behlens, mixed with enough walnut stain to bring up the figure. How much stain depends on how dark you want. Good to test first. After that, I use oil if it won't be handled a whole lot. Varnish otherwise.

Using a pore filler is much more work but worth the effort.

Bob Moody

Reply to
Bob Moody

Again, the first criteria of choosing a finish is to select one that provides the protection that will give a reasonable amount of protection for the use the piece is expected to see. Second is the look. Third is the compromises the first two usually make necessary.

What exactly is your current project and are you looking for a hard surface finish or a soft, warm, keep the feel of the wood finish?

With out that information speculation on the proper finish has no better then a 50/50 chance of being correct.

Reply to
Mike G

The project is actually 2 cabinets either side of my rear projection tv. One for all the home cinema equipment amps etc and the other for my dvds, cds etc.. I don't expect they will get to much abuse. I also want to keep away from varnish. Thanks again. Neil.

Reply to
Neil Cummins

In that case I've always been of the opinion that God made walnut just so it could be oiled. Danish oil will give you a bit more protection then boiled linseed oil or tung oil but since protection isn't a major factor you should try all three on some scrap to see which gives you a tone you like.

The other up side to oil is you don't have t worry about filling those pesky pores.

Good luck

Reply to
Mike G