Finish for a Walnut Mantle??

With about half the work done on our new Walnut Mantle I thought it a good time to think about the finish I will give it..I want the natural colors of the wood to come through so I will use no stains...I'm just looking for some suggestions about the sealer or surface finish. This is my first project with Walnut. Thanks All...Work Safe.............Chipsmith

Reply to
chipsmith

Clear varnish.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
""Nobody"

Gadzooks man, I should hope not! Anyone who wants to stain walnut needs to be dragged out into the street and flogged with a sack of doorknobs! :)

I'm no finish whiz, but I really like what clear shellac does for walnut.

Reply to
Silvan

God yes. Its dark enough. At the MOST, it might be okay to use an oil like the Watco Danish. And I supposed if you HAVE to darken it, maybe a "shaded" Watco danish. But never a "stain".

I HAVE a sack of doorknobs, so you'd better not stain that walnut.

Reply to
David Binkowski

That example reminds me. A couple friends and I were walking around in the Chicago furniture show, and I noticed a gorgeous, Frank Lloyd Wright table. Quartersawn oak, some very intricate inlays in the corners. It was a stunning table. And suddenly I became a tad depressed when I remembered something about fashion. Somewhere, someone in the past probably had a table JUST like that, and painted the god damn thing because they got tired of it, or just didn't know better.

Anyway, I know you'll do the right thing...

Reply to
David Binkowski

Reply to
Silvan

Probably painted it *white* no less.

Reply to
Silvan

IME, just about any oil finish will darken Walnut. It does so to my taste, but may be too much for you.

I typically use an oil/varnish finish, a la Sam Maloof for walnut , but a tung oil finish looks gorgeous also if you're willing to spend the time.

As always, practice on scrap, not your projects, to make sure you get what you want.

Reply to
Swingman

When McIntyre speaks, the masses listen. What he said. Blonde shellac for accurate reproduction of walnut's color, garnet if you want to redden it slightly. (gak) Build it slowly, several thin layers as opposed to one that's brushed on.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

I would love a walnut mantle. Mine is crappy 70's fake fieldstone and I don't have the time or energy to take a sledge to it. Well, maybe some day... A while ago in fww Garret Hack did a bit on a three part varnish mix he uses. I have used it with great success on walnut. It sits very close to the wood and protects perfectly well for a mantel. I found that using a varnish with an amber tone like a spar brings out the colors in walnut. Don't use anything water based on walnut though. The blue tone, however subtle will grey the finnish out.

Reply to
larry

They're only listening because I'm swinging a sack of doorknobs.

Reply to
Silvan

Thanks for all your input for the finish on the mantle......I'll post a pic when completed..35 years or so...lol...Actually, it has to be done before thanksgiving...I aint talkin next year either..Geesh...it aint even built yet!!..Ahhh... what we do for the little lady...just 13 more days and I can come out of the shop and breath dustless air...Perhaps then I'll get a life,or find one..DUH Work safe..........Chipsmith.

Reply to
chipsmith

Thirteen days? Are you going to stay in the shop for three days after it's finished?

Nova

If the walnut was air dried, an oil finish is enough! If it has been steamed, I have found that a coat or two of orange shellac brings tones down the purplish color and brings out the warmth of the browns.

Sw> IME, just about any oil finish will darken Walnut. It does so to my taste,

Reply to
Grant P. Beagles

A famous racer whose name I can't remember said, "Racing is life. Everything else is just waiting." Ditto woodworking. Or any other passion.

Bob Was it Nuvolari?

Reply to
Bob Schmall