Fininshing a bee hive

I have made a Zambian style bee hive for a customer. Problem is what do I finish it with as the handbook with the plans does not give any hints. Wood primer and outdoor enamel? Spar Varnish? Exterior poly? Generic material types would help as we do not get the brand names you normally mention. Thanks
******
eat the samoosa to reply
Phil Hansen wrote:

Phil Hansen wrote:

All the beehives I've seen were painted white, but if I ever saw a Zambian style hive, its ethnicity was not apparent. I got curious and did a quick google search. I found lots of advice from the people who sell beekeeping supplies. They recommend painting the outside only with latex paint, and one even sells a special paint that's supposed to breathe better. I'd be very careful about using smelly or toxic products.
DonkeyHody "In theory, theory and practice should be the same. But in practice, they're not."
Phil Hansen wrote:

All the beehives I've seen were painted white, but if I ever saw a Zambian style hive, its ethnicity was not apparent. I got curious and did a quick google search. I found lots of advice from the people who sell beekeeping supplies. They recommend painting the outside only with latex paint, and one even sells a special paint that's supposed to breathe better. I'd be very careful about using smelly or toxic products.
DonkeyHody "In theory, theory and practice should be the same. But in practice, they're not."
I know a beekeeper that dips his hives in melted paraffin colored white. The white color helps cool the hive in sunshine. Many times hives are left unfinished.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think the white latex (acrylic here) is the way to go.
******
eat the samoosa to reply