FedEx Freight

Page 1 of 3
Just a warning to those ordering heavy equipment... My Grizzly bandsaw arrived this week. Before shipping Grizzly sent an email asking me to agree to shipping terms which included a statement that the driver would not assist in unloading the package from the truck. I figured that it was just BS and agreed. Not only would the driver not assist, they wanted $50 to operate the lift!!! Fortunately there were 2 boxes (dividing the load) and a friend and I were able to muscle the boxes off the truck. Sure enough on the FedEx receipt was information detailing extra charges for lift use. Geez for the price I paid to ship the thing I would think lift use would be included. What a rip/scam!
"M.Paul" wrote:

$4+/gal diesel fuel generates some interesting behavior.
Lew
M.Paul wrote:

Standard operating procedure. If you don't have a loading dock and a forklift then make sure that it's absolutely clear how the load will be gotten off the truck _in_ _advance_.
--John
DHL doesn't deliver to physical address in MAINE they drop ship to nearest post office .you must pick up there

J. Clarke wrote:

Better mail order houses will explicitly state at time of order that the truck driver will not unload, and lift gate or straight truck service may cost more.
The beef is with the machine dealer, not the trucking company.
B A R R Y wrote:

The original post stated, "Before shipping Grizzly sent an email asking me to agree to shipping terms which included a statement that the driver would not assist in unloading the package from the truck. I figured that it was just BS and agreed."
I see no grounds for a beef with the machine dealer.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

I missed that. That puts Grizz in the "better dealer" category!
B A R R Y wrote:

Gentlemen;
It is usually a union thing. Most if not all trucking company drivers are members of the Teamsters Union.
Dave N

Don't know if the drivers in TX are union...but all my Griz comes on SAIA trucks. They stop in the road and use a lift to lower the iron. Almost 4000lbs. over the past year. I think I get very good service from them.

It's also a Health and Safety thing. The last thin the delivery company wnats is to pay out Workman's Comp for back injuries. I bet they instruct their drivers NOT to help.
-Zz

The driver's responsibility is to get the freight to the back of the truck.
Many drivers will do more in the interest of time. They may choose to drop a crate on the dock rather than wait for a forklift, etc. Once is a while, they may ask that we use our forklift to reposition a pallet for the next stop. Courtesy goes both ways.

Last year I bought a Jet oscillating sander (I think it is about 300 pounds). I did not expect any help from the driver, so I had a strong friend over to help me get it off the truck. The driver went out of his way to help and offered to help get it into my shop. We talked with the driver for 10-15 minutes, just small talk. Personally, I want to help anyone, a stranger, I see struggling. It doesn't cost anything to be courteous, and to those who are not, well, what can I say?
>B A R R Y wrote: >> J. Clarke wrote: >>> >>> Standard operating procedure. If you don't have a loading dock and a >>> forklift then make sure that it's absolutely clear how the load will >>> be gotten off the truck _in_ _advance_. >>> >> >> Better mail order houses will explicitly state at time of order that the >> truck driver will not unload, and lift gate or straight truck service >> may cost more. >> >> The beef is with the machine dealer, not the trucking company. > > > Gentlemen; > > It is usually a union thing. Most if not all trucking company drivers > are members of the Teamsters Union. > > Dave N
Well yes,......and no.
There has always been a thing called "tailgate rule", which originated in Teamster Work Rules. Driver was obligated to only move the cargo "TO" the tailgate, customer required to unload to dock, second vehicle, whatever. Customer had a certain contracturally specified time to remove freight before demurrrage charges commenced. That has changed in the 70's, though. Even then, most drivers would help get the stuff off, because it meant that they could go on about their day, maybe even finish early, or (better yet) finish their shift at the coffee shop, instead of waiting out in the weather for some guy to find and finagle a forklift.
Some purchase orders, some delivery orders specify now to offload only to dock, some specify how cargo is to be stacked, whether shrink-wrapped, or whatever. Palletized ? - that's an option, often left unstated. Depends a lot on what the freight is, however. And "regular customer" earns a lot of consideration, too.
What it boils down to now is that just about each delivery has its own set of rules. "Caveat emptor" is a safe policy. Specify it beforehand, and you'll probably get just what you require. Be prepared to pay for the *service*, as well as the product.
*************
In the early 70's I drove a flatbed tractor-trailer for a truck-assembling company, picking up freight which was owned by that company, off the docks at South Clinton St. in Baltimore.
Needing to make three turns daily, I always took two ten-dollar bills, loading two truck-bodies each trip. Yes, I listed it in petty cash as "grease", I left it on the clipboard under the pier's copy of the Loading Manifest/Receipt of Freight form. Not saying it was a fair arrangement, but it worked. Everybody was satisfied. Half of the $$ went to the forklift driver, the other went to his supervisor, for essentiallly allowing the deal to operate as it did.
Being liberal with $$ helps, being a nice guy does, too. Being aware , reading the fiene print of the contract is probably a good idea too.
Flash
On 2008-08-08 19:10:32 -0700, "David G. Nagel"

You obviously know NOTHING of freight industry or the Teamsters Union.
Vidkid26 wrote:

Teamster Union for the clause in their contracts that limit the manual labor involved in making a delivery. If the employer wants the driver to off load the delivery then the driver will be compensated and insured. As the man said: been there, done that, got the bill for it.
Dave N
On 2008-08-10 15:55:42 -0700, "David G. Nagel"

contract that limit the manual labor involved in making a delivery when it pertains to a residential delivery. Its governed by the taffifs charged by the company. When it requires a lifgate a charge is applied and proper equiptment is supplied, including labor.

Well that was dumb.

That is BS. It would only take the driver a few minutes and get him a tip. I have to wonder if you were maybe a little feisty when you learned the driver would not help so he decided to be a prick about the lift gate. If you specify lift gate delivery there is often a charge for it as they have to send a trailer that is equipped. Never had a driver with one that was equipped hesitate to use it though.
Hello, Edwin! You wrote on Fri, 8 Aug 2008 23:53:14 -0400:

EP> Well that was dumb. I guess that I have just been spoiled by other deliveries where the same BS was stated yet the driver was happy to not only help unload but also help move to yard or garage location. Costco deliveries come to mind.

EP> That is BS. It would only take the driver a few minutes EP> and get him EP> a tip. EP> I have to wonder if you were maybe a little EP> feisty when you learned EP> the EP> driver would not help so he decided EP> to be a prick about the lift EP> gate. If EP> you specify lift gate EP> delivery there is often a charge for it as EP> they have EP> to send a EP> trailer that is equipped. Never had a driver with one EP> that wasEP> EP> equipped hesitate to use it though.
Actually we were joking around especially after I had to walk down the street to prevent him from delivering my saw to a neighbor at the end of the street - he didn't check the street address (urban area - number painted on curb) just thought that because there were a couple of contruction trucks parked down the street, that must be where the saw goes. He was very pleasant, just made it very clear that no help unloading was to be offered.

I can understand the guy not helping lift the packages. He is not allowed to as he can get injured and may even have a bad back already. What amazes me is that he could stand there and watch you struggle and demand $50 to use the lift. He may have been laughing with you on the outside, but inside he was being a real prick.
Drivers are like any cross section of society. Most are nice people but there are always a few jerks.

Agree - I've had a number of purchases from Grizzly and the truckers were always good guys and helpful. Of course, as Edwin points out, I'm polite to them.