Extractor fan

Is there any advantage in installing an extractor fan in my garage workshop? It measures 8ft x 8ft x 16ft. I cut a lot of MDF. I use a shop vac connected to my router, saw etc, and a dust mask but still find fine dust settling over a period of days. If it is useful, can anyone say what specification it would need to be?

MTIA

JD

Reply to
john dolan

John, My guess is that in the summer you can open the garage door. However the winter may be too cold to do so. MDF is very nasty with the lungs. In addition to the wood, there is a fair amount of glue mixed with the wood. Who knows what's in the glue.

You idea is right, exchange the polluted air with cleanlier air. You either can do this with a fan. ( Turn on BEFORE you start cutting to get the air moving first) OR I would add in the ceiling a oversized filter system that filters the air. These are made by JET, DELTA, GRIZZLY etc. The key here is to start these up before you start cutting and let them run for about twenty minutes or so after you stop. It takes a long time to filter out the small stuff that will (not maybe) play havoc with your lungs over time. Yes this seems to add up in the electric bill. but pay me now or pay me much more later.

PS Depending are where you are , in the winter the simple fan approach will pull in a lot of very cold air. Dress warm PSS The shop vac filter will get clogged very fast with MDF. Get a spare filter or so and swap it out during cutting sessions, still cheaper than a lung transplant.

Paul

Reply to
goaway

For a shop vac use the disposable shop vac vacuum bags. They have many times the filter area of the shopvac filter and when they clog they are usually full anyway. I have been using the same shop vac filter for many years now since I switched to using bags.

Reply to
Oughtsix

For a shop vac use the disposable shop vac vacuum bags. They have many times the filter area of the shopvac filter and when they clog they are usually full anyway. I have been using the same shop vac filter for many years now since I switched to using bags.

Reply to
Oughtsix

Go to:

has an extensive site that thoroughly explains the hazards of wood shop dust. How much ARE your lungs worth? Get a good dust collector. Your shop vac only gets the big stuff that won't harm you. The insidious stuff is the fine stuff you shop-vac just redistributes around. An exhaust fan will help but your better off getting it at the source as much as possible.

Reply to
Rich