Entertainment center - more progress

Doors are dryfitted and put into entertainment center bookcase for display to friends today. On Flickr: http://tinyurl.com/3hf96rh
--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

Very nice, Han. Japanese Dutchwegian design roots?
-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Thanks,Larry! We like the Scandinavian style (children of the 60's & 70's). My Dad was born in Indonesia (Dutch East Indies then), and we have some old stuff of my Grandmother's.
--
Best regards
Han

I really like that! Very clever and creative. (you sure you want to vibrate all your components with that subwoofer?)

I have to find a place for that at the other side of the room. Have to convince dear spouse that such is a good idea ... Leaving it up there rather than hiding it keeps it at the back of my mind.
--
Best regards
Han

I like the panels and might steal the idea for something else!!

Thanks, Lobby! I got the idea from Fine Wood Working, an article on alternatives to the traditional raised door panel in the August 2010 issue (#211) on pages 48 and following.
I didn't use their method for weaving, and I used iron-on veneer edging (maple and walnut). With the design assistance of Afina, we decided on 3 vertical strips (middle maple, left and right walnut), which I ironed onto a "framelet" of little strips sort of free hand. Then I tightly wove the horizontal strips (4 walnut, rest maple as shown at <http://tinyurl.com/3hf96rh ), and ironed them onto the framelet, shown in the last photo. I had attached the framelet to a temporary hardboard support.
I am in the process of finishing the doors now, and must remark,that there are 2 slight difficulties:
The first is that the woven veneer edging strips still have a curling tendency (I didn't think a flat support as recommended in FWW would be necessary - the younger grandkids will prove me right or wrong). So I need to stretch them somehow. Either by using a tensioning strip on the back, or by gluing the framelet into the real door frame. (COMMENTS will be appreciated, because I don't know whether this setup has expansion/contraction problems).
The second is that next time I'll likely finish the veneer strips before mounting. Now the wiping of BLO, then shellac and soon poly is a pain because I have to get under the top strip where they cross. I don't know how prefinishing would affect the ironing/gluing of the strips.
Still in progress ...
--
Best regards
Han