Another NYW Question: "Shaker Entertainment Center"

Wreckers,

I recently . . . last six months maybe? Saw His Normness building an entertainment center "inspired by" an antique (My brain says Shaker, but that's probably my fallback position for "I've no clue.") -- the inspiring piece was an armoire, but the depth was increased to accommodate a 27-32" television.

Material was mostly maple plywood.

Wandering about my local bookstore, I found "Classics From the NYW" which had a similar piece, but it was sized to only accommodate a 19" television.

I'm nearly certain the piece I saw him build was a good bit larger.

Does anyone recall the piece? Is it published in a book or is it still in the "for a measured 'draw-ring' please send . . " stage?

Thanks

Charles

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

Norm has done two projects of this nature that I recall.

The first was Armoire (Entertainment Center) - Project 213

most recent was Media Press - Project 0307
a look at those to see if either fits the bill.

As for either's availability in book form, don't ask me - I don't use no steenkin' plans... ;-)

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

The first is the one that's in "Classics From..." book.

The second is the one I'm after, I think. I remember thinking "Gee, that's a nice piece . . . why's he using so many nails" . . . . which I suppose is a common feeling wrt his "fine" pieces.

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

Norm is a carpenter, first and foremost. I have often writhed in disgust upon viewing his more than judicious use of brads to hold trim and such on his furniture projects...

But considering the finishes he generally uses, I doubt anyone really notices... ;-)

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

Charles,

I replied to you by email, did you get it?

Wes

|On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 13:58:03 -0400, Greg G. wrote: |> U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles said: |>

|>>Wreckers, |>

|>>Does anyone recall the piece? Is it published in a book or is it still |>>in the "for a measured 'draw-ring' please send . . " stage? |>

|> Norm has done two projects of this nature that I recall. |>

|> The first was Armoire (Entertainment Center) - Project 213 |>

|> As for either's availability in book form, don't ask me - I don't use |> no steenkin' plans... ;-) |>

| |The first is the one that's in "Classics From..." book. | |The second is the one I'm after, I think. I remember thinking "Gee, |that's a nice piece . . . why's he using so many nails" . . . . which I |suppose is a common feeling wrt his "fine" pieces. |

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Norm = God

As one of the many "unwashed masses" in woodworking, I can only hope to achieve his level of craft.

When I do, I intend to become very cynical about him.

On the business side, I am sure he is responsible for many millions of $ in jobs/economy etc. I know I have contributed my share and continue to do so - and am a better recreational woodworker because of him.

Norm is a great teacher (from a retired one!)

My 2ç

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Well, I wouldn't go THAT far... David Marks, perhaps...

Don't get the wrong idea. I think Norm is a great guy, and pretty much the one who started the DIY business. I have watched every show he ever made and have them all on DVD, and you couldn't ask for a nicer guy. But he is NOT a "fine" woodworker - he is a practical woodworker. Besides, there is a limited amount of detail you can cover in a 30 minute show.

Agreed - he provided the motivation to get many a woodworker started in the craft - including myself. But his use of brads in all trimwork and his choice of finishes is a bit crude. And slathering poly over everything he builds... well...

But the most unforgivable of sins - he stains cherry with Minwax!

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

That is one of the best lines I've seen here - and there have been a number of good ones. In fact, you may have expressed a basic concept about people. Thanks for the thoughtful laugh.

Oh, and I assume you mean Norm's level of craft. And, it is "Him", please. Or, are you gonna become cynical of God?

Reply to
igor

Greg ...

First of all, Norm is a carpenter and a woodworker but I don't recall him ever claiming to be a "fine" woodworker. In fact he often seems quite deferential to craftsmen whose experience exceeds his own and whose work he admires. My cable company does not carry DIY so I must admit I have watched a lot more of Norm than I have of David Marks but from what I have seen I would say Marks is indeed a fine woodworker and his show seems aimed at more experienced woodworkers. In those same 30 minutes that each man has (more like 23 minutes, actually), Marks seems to gloss over more of the details as if he assumes the audience has a fair amount of knowledge, while Norm explains more of the basics, even if it is something he has covered before. And another thing. Here in the newsgroup a few people seemed to mock Norm for his extensive use of (expensive) power tools. So when I finally got to see Marks, I was a bit surprised that he routinely uses some tools Norm only dreams about.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

Gee, I feel like I'm being chastised... Must be this Bush/Kerry thing hovering in the air. ;-) Don't worry, Lee - I still love Norm!

Yes, David Marks has quite a few tools that Porter Cable and Delta aren't ever gonna supply to Norm - one of the more impressive being the U.S.S Saratoga Joiner. From what I understand, he buys his equipment used and refurbishes it.

He also uses hand planes - which I hardly ever see Norm use, except when knocking the edge off of a board.

And finally, Mr. Tung Oil experiments with a variety of finishes, from Ammonia-fied Oak, to acid etched copper patina coverings.

I wish they would run more of his programs on HGTV, 'cause he's about the only thing worth watching on the DIY network.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

... snip

They've got some real winners, don't they? That hyperactive little guy running the "Warehouse Warriors" comes to mind. Also the college robot battles and the remote-control a/c shows (seems like they only have one of those they keep showing). Seems like DIY got the shows that didn't make the HGTV cut list.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita