A crazy question about drills with drill guides and spin saws

I've been looking at getting a spin saw or a router with a Jasper Circle jig to do some cutouts in MDF or Baltic Birch plywood. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I spotted my electric drill in its drill guide base. The base has a number of pre-drilled holes in it but the information on these is long gone if there ever was any. So I don't know if one of the Jasper jigs could be attached. But the holes themselves could be measured for radiuses and maybe match up what I need as a circle cut.

These holes would be used as the center and secured by a screw. This is the system I've seen for jigsaw attachments sold at the local menards: some holes in the frame of a little $6 jig can act as the center to use a jigsaw for circle cutting as well.

I was wondering if the drill's mandrel could be used with one of those cutting bits that the little Roto-Zip-type spin saws have? Other question is could the Jasper circle jig fit onto those predrilled holes.? Then there's the problem of having a trigger power switch that maybe an assistant could keep depressed.

Is there any danger or other extreme reason why a Roto-Zip wood cutting bit cannot be chucked up in the hand drill,( or a drill press for that matter) to use as a spin saw?

snipped-for-privacy@athenet.net

Reply to
Lon Ponschock

Original message is below.

There were no replies to this thread but I was so pleased to have some success with this technique that I'm making this short followup.

The technique of using an electric hand drill in a drill guide such as those sold by Sears plus one of the RotoZip bits can successfully cut through a 3/4 piece of fiberboard. High speed must be maintained and eye protection must be worn. I snapped a couple of the RotoZip bits before using steady high speed and a very gradual turn to make my cutout.

There would be more control with an actual spin saw or RotoZip tool. The the gear supplied in one of the kits to make circle cuts and so-on would be the preferred method of work. But for me, the practice with tools I have gave me the encouragement to get a spin saw very soon.

Main difference between the drill setup and a spin saw is the mandrel rotation: the spin saw has a much higher RPM than a hand drill.

Eye protection is critical.

The last question that remains to be answered for this setup is whether or not the sole plate of the drill guide would accept a calibrated Jasper Circle Jig for increased flexibility.

I've posted after my initial try at this. If there is interest send me a mail and I will answer any questions.

[original follows]
Reply to
Lon Ponschock