Re: OT: Puttanesca

Yesterday's :

> Those unfortunate folks who have eaten this dish at my house are now all > making it at home. > The recipe is very flexible more garlic, less anchovies, more olives, > whatever...but NO cheese allowed.

Sounds good.

I think I'll try this with spaghetti squash, I have several that need eating and I can't eat pasta anyway, the sauce should be bold enough to do the squash justice.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

That's exactly right. Common ingredients. I think the whole Puttanesca thing is just a naming convention and somewhat standard recipe. It's ridiculous to believe that people didn't have similar dishes for ages as the ingredients are all common. It's like that ridiculous Earl of Sandwich story. In all of the history of baking he was the first one to figure out to put a piece of meat between a couple pieces of bread? But he gets the naming convention. Go figure.

RicodJour

WERE the French really the first to ever deep fry a julienned potato? NO waffles before a Belgian made one?

Reply to
Robatoy

Call them up or email them.

quick search on lcbo.ca didn't show anything, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't any nearby stores that don't have it.

Reply to
Dave

--------------------------------- The grape and I have an understanding.

Basically we stay away from each other.

On rare ocassions, a bottle of Charles Shaw (2 Buck Chuck, as in $2/bottle) finds it's way to the table.

Around SoCal, Trader Joes sells it.

Out of state, no idea.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Nope, doesn't get up this far North. Something about some contractor buddies in Houston that keep buying it all...

Reply to
Robatoy

*GASP* a highly recommended Riesling for & 7.99!!!
Robatoy

They'll do that anyway. Never go against the family, Fredo.

RicodJour

Grande Reserve. Before you wine weenies get all hot and bothered, it's a beer. Actually, it's a BEER! 9% ABV and it's fookin' delicious. Costco has it for $11 per 750 ml bottle and anywhere else around here that carries it it's $15 - $16.

like this review: "Love this beer. Always a good introductory beer to give people who have yet to try the Belgian Strong Dark Ale style. What I love most about this beer is the feeling in the belly afterward. It is the drink equivalent of a comfort food meal like ribs on the bbq along with some garlic mashed potatoes."

Do they serve Chimay in The Fox & Flagon, or whatever your Irish pub is called, or is it all Guinness?

RicodJour

Let me see this again..

Is that for a case of 12 or 24? The way it reads is that is the price of a bottle!! LOL...for BEER!!! LMAO.. You almost had me there. So what is it, 12 or 24?

I'm not a dark beer fan. I can drink a Guinness but I don't think I ever ordered one. A Coast Guard buddy drinks it almost exclusively so I do get one whenever I am over at his house. I have had them on tap (better) but I don't 'get' it. I would MUCH rather have an Erdinger Weiss or even just a plain Grolsch.... and now add Sam Adams Summer Ale to that line-up. (The Beeradvocate doesn't think much of it, but fukkum, they don't own my taste buds.) What the beer snobs don't like about Summer Ale, is what I do like. One guy bitched about the fizz.... I like a little fizz. That's what I don't like about Guinness, not fun for the tongue, flat.

There is a reason why there are thousands of beers, because there are thousands of palates. . . . .

Reply to
Robatoy

750 ml is like 25 ounces I think. I thought Canadians understood the metric system. :)~

But this begs the question. Is drinking a ten beer event, or do you have a couple or three and call it good? If it's the latter something like the Chimay makes a lot of sense, and even in the former case you'd only need half as much Chimay. Assuming that you're drinking an alcoholic beverage for the alcohol content, and not just to appear debonair.

That's one of the nicest thing about real beers, and not the run of the mill swill that passes for beer. That's about all that stuff is good for - passing it. A good beer is just as complex as a good wine, maybe more so. There's a huge amount of craft involved in the making. Wine is all fine and dandy, but its high-faluting ain't-we- special rep is largely due to Euro snobbery and wannabe-Euro snobs.

Frankly I'm surprised that there's not a _really_ high end in the beer market. People would pay it, same way Starbucks broke the ice with people paying $5 for a cup of coffee.

Really? Why? I think I'm worth it, on occasion, you probably are too. Maybe. ;)

RicodJour

Let's see. Average bottle of beer is 355 ml, so you get two+. Average ABV is 4.5 so you get 4. 11 Bucks for the same kick as 4 regular bottles. As I really like my Grolsch, it's a beer that suits me perfectly, I will have two or three for under $4.00. It does me fine. And it has nothing to do with money. When my BIL was here from Kansas, I had no problem dropping a c-note on a bottle of scotch. My question is: How good can a beer (Chimay) be? You KNOW I'll damned well are going to try one, but it better be awesome for me to take the time out and consume the same amount of alcohol of 4 normal beers.

What temperature and what kind of glass?

Reply to
Robatoy

We do understand the metric system: a 750ml bottle of beer is "a quart" or "une grosse" in Quebec.

But you still haven't answered Rob's question. Is it for a 12 or a two- four?

Luigi

:-)

=93There=92s an age when boys read one of two books. Either they read Ayn Rand or they read Tolkien=92s Lord of the Rings. One of these books leaves you with no grasp on reality and a deeply warped sense of fantasy in place of real life. The other one is about hobbits and orcs."

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Pffffffft! Rand RULES, dude.

-- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

*shrugs*
Reply to
Robatoy

Are you talking about the Rand Corporation? I liked the other one's books, for the most part, and Gary Cooper's Fountainhead was a hoot, but I'm not so sure about the Ayn. Spouting off for your entire life about how government handouts are evil, and then, when push comes to shove, changing your name to conceal that you're taking those same handouts, seems just a wee bit hypocritical, no?

RicodJour

Take the time out...? Hell, it'll save you time and wear and tear on your bladder.

There's a lot more latitude in temperature with good beer. From a Chimay Grande Reserve neck hang tag that I just happen to have next to me: "...making it an ideal thirst quencher when served chilled 10 to 12 C (50 to 54 F). When served at ambient temperature its full strength is released and it reveals its richness of both body and soul."

Waxing a bit poetical, but the point is made - drink it how you like it. I refrigerate it, take it out and let it sit for a while until anticipation vanquishes patience. As far as the glass...any of the silicates will do. ;) I do not pretend to have either such a refined palate nor extensive glassware collection. I drink it in a typical pint glass.

All this talk of beer. Sigh. Now I have to have a nightcap, and a nice Ommegang Three Philosophers beckons.

RicodJour

You call 25 ounces a quart? Une grosse should be a liter, no?

I'm sorry, I thought I had. The price I mentioned is for one bottle - it's 750 mls =3D ~25 oz.

I had Keegan's Mother's Milk for the first time the other night at a local restaurant that just opened up. Great wine list and an even better beer list. Very highly recommended:

RicodJour

Actually a Molson quart or une grosse Mol used to be 22 ounces or so, IIRC. But now, with all the fancy artisanal brews in Quebec, some are actually one real quart (1.14 litres or 40 ounces, a.k.a a forty- pounder usually applied to hard stuff like rye).

We were just pulling your leg a bit. :-)

the regular dishwater that's like making love in a canoe. Luckily, we do have a really good award-winning local brewery: Yukon brewery--beer worth freezing for.

Buy lots of it, I'm a shareholder.

Luigi

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy, that is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi