Education

Page 4 of 5
Tim Daneliuk wrote:

Here are some fine examples: http://www.reason.com/news/show/124072.html
Money Quote from the U. Of Delaware (since rescinded, I believe):
"[A] racist is one who is both privileged and socialized on the basis of race by a white supremacist (racist) system. The term applies to all white people (i.e., people of European descent) living in the United States, regardless of class, gender, religion, culture or sexuality."
We can trace this kind of intellectual sewage directly to its 1960s counterculture roots. These people have infested our education system and turned it into a madrasah for their radical lunacy. And we wonder why Johnny can't read, write, or think? He was "educated" by people who studied under fools.
Broad brush? Yes. True? Mostly.

Maybe you just hung out at a different school. There were enough of them going to college only for the deferment. My 1962-63 high school Civics teacher told us not only how to avoid the draft, but how to work summers and collect unemployment the rest of the year. I can give a list of names if you need it.

Wait a minute...wasn't a deferment a legitimate program available to any otherwise draft eligible youth? How can you criticize or characterize someone as less than honoroble who took advantage of such an opportunity? I had a student deferment until I got hired by the FAA. If you want to call me a draft dodger you'd better be prepared to come here and do it to my face. You may not like the result.
As it turned out, the ankle injury I incurred years before made me ineligible. Not 4F, but not healthy enough for the level at which they were inducting at the time.
Later, when the lottery started, my number was three digits and started with a three. Does that make me a draft dodger?
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Yes, when used as intended. The only reason some people went to college and in certain occupations was strictly for that deferrment. They would be considered draft dodgers.

See above.

Why are you making an ass of yourself with the tough talk? Did you used to be the schoolyard bully? Or just a big mouth?

So who gives a crap?

How do you read motive in someone's heart?

Must be some magic goggles.

I'm sensitive on the subject. I went to college with a student deferment from 1964 through 1967. I was never in the military. There are some people who try to create a nexus between those two circumstances which doesn't reflect favorably on me in their eyes. They verbalize that at their peril. No bully, no big mouth, but I won't stand by to be labeled as something I wasn't. Would you?

I see. Never mind.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

When they say "I'm in school to avoid the draft" you sort of get a hint.

Nothing magical, you just listen to what they say. Such as "I'm not going in the f---n army." Some of these were in my school, neighbors, etc.

I did not label you at all, but your making what appears to be a physical threat just makes you look like the big bully. Quite laughable, really. Generally comes from lack of self confidence, I'm told.

Well, hell, I wasn't going in the Army, either. By that time, I'd already serve four years in the Marines.
But it is really easy to determine intent when someone gets five different deferments, or joins the ANG, or otherwise manages to sneak under the tape. I am still smarting from that sack of shit Cheney having the gall to stand up in from of the Marine Corps League convention and give the keynote speech.

Not draft dodgers, Ed. Those were draft evaders and it was legal. Cheney did it. Bush did it. Hell, I think most of Congress did it. And that's one of our current problems.
On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 10:34:14 -0600, Tim Daneliuk

Except if you are getting an advanced degree in Education.
which is about the how
not the what
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Tim Daneliuk wrote:

In my various positions as a technical lead, I have had the pleasure of utilizing the "skills" of some of these graduates (bachelors through PhD). The lack of writing skills is appalling; some of these people are exceptionally technically gifted but are seemingly unable to string together more than 5 words in succession nor put together a coherent presentation or report to either document what they have done or get buy-in to what they want to do.

Greetings, For all responders to this topic, in which generation would you place yourself? Traditionalist (born pre1945), Boomer, GenX, Millennial (GenY)
Roger

A more appropriate question would be "when did you stop learning?" Think you'd find the end of the alphabet quit before the "traditionalist."
What's the last book you read? Even better question. Mine is _ A History of Medicine_ by Lois Magner.
"George" wrote

'Rookwood' - William Harrison Ainsworth. Written in 1834, considered by literati to be the last "Gothic" novel. Half way through 'The Lancashire Witches', by same, written in 1845 ... Being the cheap bastard I am, I get all my recreational reading from Project Gutenberg.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Legacy of Ashes; The History of the CIA, Tom Weiner
I've started Tom Brokaw's BOOM about the baby-boomer generation.
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

George wrote: ...

Sherman's _Memoirs_ succeeding Grant's (the latter of which I stumbled into on a recommendation found in reading Ike, the relatively new biography)...now I'm ready to try to find Jos. Johnstone's, Sheridan and wherever that may lead...

Try to find John McAllister Schofield's "46 years in the Army." He was in the same class at the Point as Sheridan, succeeded him as Commanding General of the Army, served as Secretary of War, was an envoy to France, called the Hero of Franklin (TN, Battle of...) won the Medal of Honor, Schofield Barracks, HI, is named for him. His brother developed the Schofield revolver.
A shirttail relative, he was born 7 miles (and 115 years) from where I was.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod wrote:

Schofield was well represented by both Grant and Sherman but Johnstone for his role as antagonist on the campaign to Atlanta (during which J Davis had him removed) and then later when he was reinstated struck me I'd like to read more of his side of the story--then, of course, Sheridan for his derring-do, so to speak as unattached cavalry to see what he thought of how it went as opposed to what Sherman thought and expected. Methinks there were a lot more "aw-sh__" moments than one might think from this point. :) Then, of course, that hasn't yet touched Lee...I've already got Schofield on the list, but it'll probably be another year or two before I get there--there's only about another month or so of real winter and then farming picks up again in earnest (assuming it rains some more this year than last, anyway)...
dpb wrote: ...

Grant, not Sherman intended there, of course...
All these guys are pretty doggone impressive when you look at their lifelong body of work not just the Civil War era. Makes most of the folks we hear of today seem pretty small ime(stimation) in comparison.
I'm also constantly reminded of what "tough" really meant--the 12-yr old regimental drummer boys, for example. Where are 12-yr olds today?

Knifing each other on the playground to protect dope-selling turf....

jc