Early Morning Planning

Page 1 of 3
I love this time of year, early morning before it's light, and nippy air that helps clear the head. Today, I need to cut some cabinet doors, and I don't want to waste plywood, so I was standing outside thinking it out--this sometimes works better than pencil and paper--when I realized my rural area was suffering from a bit of light pollution that wasn't here a few years ago.
I think it's these blasted dusk to dawn insurance lights. Every small church has at least five (insurance companies require them at every entrance and every obstacle of certain types). Many houses, including one across the road, and two others a quarter mile up the road, have one.
I guess those are basic directional pointers for thieves, much like a sign saying, "Hey, here's something worth stealing".
But I did get the placement figured out for my two doors. I can warm the shop and get those cut today.
Charlie Self "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." H. L. Mencken

I don't mind the farmers when they are out near the livestock but I drive by a place on the way to work and they have mercury vapor d.t.d. lights literally screwed to the north and south gable ends of their new country home. Makes me want to knock on the door and ask 'em if they're afraid of the dark why did they move out here. I was thinking you were going to mention the northern lights we've been seeing here in southern WI for the last few days. Now thats light pollution I can live with.
EJ

I wholeheartedly agree with the "afraid of the dark" sentiment. I moved about 50 miles away from Philly recently to rural (but growing - I can't complain too much I guess - I'm part of the problem) Chester County. My local development doesn't have street lights, per se, but relies on each property's post lamp. It's enough that I can walk the pooch without breaking a leg, but not so much that I can still stop, look up and see more stars than the city-bound folk have ever seen.
Growth sucks, but every single one of us who moves off to "greener pastures" is part of the problem. It's up to us to try to keep things as we want it. I won't let them put street lights in once I'm a member of the home owner's association. I like it quiet. I like it dark. I like the (relative) solitude.

Or do like we did, and buy old.
Comes with the added bonus of built in ww projects. And thus, the need to acquire more tools. Win-Win, all the way around...
Regards,
JT
Chris Hornberger responds:

I moved to this area about 28 years ago as a geographic cure for a failing marriage. It didn't work immediately, but the area did. I selected the area mostly because it was well away from anything, but close enough to 2 small cities for shopping. It has now become something of bedroom community for Lynchburg & Roanoke, unfortunately. I watched the same sort of thing happen when I was a kid in NY, in Westchester County. It is unfortunate, expensive, and the results are nasty.
That said, if I ever had to deal with a homeowner's association, I'd probably shoot myself.
Charlie Self "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." H. L. Mencken
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) writes:
[...]

Think again. Who produces the problem, you, the esteemed woodworker or the homeowner's association? Then decide on whom to shoot.
(Charlie Self) writes:

The problem is the sociology of the shared decision-making process. Some folks are not suited for that. Those that recognize those traits in themselves make a wise decision to avoid the problem.
Woodworkers, and others who, at times during their hobbies, make loud noises or more dust that usual, tend, at times to be 'difficult' neighbors. It's just fine, if we cluster together, though.
Patriarch, a total Neander after 9 pm...
Eric Johnson responds:

Yes, well, this is a bit too far south for the nothern lights. I have missed them for a long, long time now.
Charlie Self "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." H. L. Mencken
On 10 Nov 2004 16:12:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) calmly ranted:

The astronomers at Mt. Palomar Observatory had been screaming for years about the light pollution in North San Diego County when the county decided to change over to the amber lights which kept the vertical glare down to a bare minimum. I applauded their sense.

Here ya go. Mario pointed me at this earlier this week and I'm very glad. I've never seen them in person.
------------------------------------------------------------- * * Humorous T-shirts Online * Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design * * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------------------
(Charlie Self)

Try this: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap041109.html
Bob
calmly ranted:

Oops, I forgot to include the bloody URL. <blush> http://www.extremeinstability.com/04-11-8.htm These are a bit more real that your beaut below.

------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------

Wow - wouldn't you know it? I leave and they show up...
I grew up with Yerkes Observatory *literally* in my backyard. (http://astro.uchicago.edu/yerkes /) Was educated about Light Pollution from an early age...
IIRC - they did say that the adoption of Na lights would make things easier. Easier, I suppose, to filter out the one wavelngth.
Been seeing the Northern Lights up here in the UP also they are beautiful.

Ya, we try to get up to 12 mile beach once or twice a year, there isn't any light pollution there yet..

Charlie Self did say:

Just how difficult is it to create light fixtures that direct all of the light DOWN? One of the great things about where I live was the night sky. Now, I get to see about 75% of it due to the streetlights glaring skyward.
WoodMangler wrote:

If you fly over the area at night you'll likely find that most of the streetlights are not "glaring upward". You'll see nicely illuminated little circles of ground with no bright spot in the middle.
--
--John

I just flew from chicago to albany NY the night before last, and I was amazed at the number of lights that still DO have a bright spot in the middle. It was noticable enough so that the nicely illuminated circles of ground (kinda orange, actually) were definitely a noticable minority.
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Except for the nonexistent nippy air down here, I know what you mean - a perfect time to think and plan. I walk most every morning at 5 ...might see one car in motion, and maybe one or two early rising joggers, but being in the middle of a big city the light pollution is just that ... however, it couldn't hide the moon, Jupiter and Venus lining up real pretty this morning, very low on the eastern horizon.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Swingman - you have yourself one sweet little shop, there. Nice work.
I'm still battling with the wife over just how much of the garage I get as "mine". So far I'm trying to do woodwork and a motorcycle restoration (my '82 Goldwing - http://www.chornbe.com/motorcycles ) in one half of a two-car garage. Needless to say, I have a lot of mobile bases for my tools. Mobile, as in, "let me drag it over here where there's 2 extra feet of space". *sigh*
"Chris Hornberger" wrote in message

Thank you! Luckily SWMBO feels the same way about garages and cars as I do ... contrary to many these days, neither of us sees an automobile as an extension of our persona/ego, so we've never been concerned with, and see the foolishness of, housing them in their own $eparate $pace in the climate we live in.
That leaves the "shop", as small as it is, my domain in its entirety.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04