Dust collection on Grizzly 1023S

I have a Grizzly 1023S table saw with motor cover and OE blade insert. I recently got the Grizzly 1029Z 2HP dust collector, the one with the .3 micron bag. I'm using a 10 ft. flex hose for now -moving it from tool to tool. I does a great job on the jointer, planer, and band saw, but i'm a little disappointed with the collection on the tablesaw. There is so much sawdust thrown on top of the table and on me! I'm guessing this will get worse with a zero clearance insert. There are probably plenty of folks out there with this exact combo. Any tips on ways to improve collection, other than an overhead guard? Thanks.

Reply to
Newshound

Have similar combo as you (with a 2 HP Shop Fox DC vice Grizzly) and have the same problem. However, I am not sure that any other brand of cabinet saw could eliminate dust on the saw top especially when using a zero-clearance insert. Specifically, the design of the others are very much the same and just how might they better catch dust? While they might better manage dust that accumulates in the cabinet base, it's not clear how they could better handle dust created above the table top. Perhaps a Jet or Delta owner could respond to verify this?

Reply to
TEF

I have the exact same setup and was wondering the same thing. Let us know if you find a good solution.

Reply to
Brikp

I have the Biesemeyer overhead guard with dust collection.

With a HUGE Craftsman shop vac screaming at the top of it's lungs, it does in fact "help" whith the dust being thrown back in your face. It does NOT get it all, and I can't seem to find anybody who can say it will.

I to the point of believing that you are gonna get some dust on you if you run a table saw. I now wear a mask almost every time the saw comes on...

The overhead guard is far better than none at all...

TEF wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Ahhh - yes!

Oh. No...

Reply to
patrick conroy

You guessed right. It will get worse - much worse.

I've resolved the problem to my satisfaction, but you have to really hate sawdust to like my set up. I've been studying the topic and prototyping for months. My dust collection is so good now that I don't even use the overhead air filter in my shop. I live in Houston with some warm humid weather. That combination with sawdust all over me made woodworking intolerable. I hated it.

I'll be glad to post some pics, if anyone is interested. I'm sure a lot of folks will throw rocks, but its an individual value thing.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I will post some pictures and explanation tomorrow. I'll announce the availability here.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
Bob

of course. that's what we're here for, right?

bring 'em on...

Reply to
bridger

try a slower feed rate.

Reply to
bridger

I, for one, would like to see the results of your trials and tribulations. Dust collection is an important health issue that need to be resolved for woodworkers.

Len

----------

Bob wrote:

Reply to
Leonard Lopez

I'm interested. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

==================

Try experimenting with different blade hights..and feed rates...

The lower the blade the less dust flys right at you... the slower the feed rate the less flys at you...

After playing around in my shop I have settled on a high blade and a comfortable feed rate and the HELL with the sawqdust..

Bob Griffiths I do use an overhead guard with dust collection capabilities

.
Reply to
Bob G.

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned is that if your fence is not perfectly parallel to the blade, or *very* slightly toed out .010" or so, the rear of the blade will send far more shavings at you than if adjusted properly.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

and if you're not careful it'll send more than shavings...

Reply to
bridger

Yepper!

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

I just posted in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

posted in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

Bob Davis Houston, Texas

Reply to
Bob