Dust Collection

My duct collector it about 15 years old. Its a 1 hp Grizzley and is mounted upstairs in the attic of my shop. It works well but the bag fills up rapidly and I'am getting to old to lug it down the stairs all the time. What I want to do is simple take the bag off and blow the dust out to an old covered trailer. The exhaust run will be about 16ft of 5 inch pipe with an elbow into a 6 inch pipe running down into the trailer. Has anyone had experience doing this. Any advice? Thanks, Ed

Reply to
EdG

It could work. Just remember that for every cubic foot of air being blown into the trailer, that much air must move out of the trailer Be sure to vent it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

While it might work, make sure that the chips don't plug up the 6 inch pipe or the elbow. Another thing to keep in mind is that a DC moves a massive amount of air and with your proposed configuration, it will be moving it from your shop to the outside. Since it will be sucking the air out of the shop, you will need some type of free flowing vent from the outside to replace it. This will of course also suck out any heating or air conditioning that you may have in there. If you don't have a vent or open window, it will try to suck air back down the chimney if there is one which is not a good thing and if not, it will lose power. DC's are not known for their static pressure so it will not take much to reduce air flow. The same holds true for the trailer. You will be blowing a lot of air into it and if the air has nowhere to go, the DC will rapidly lose suction.

Reply to
TBone

Go for a "real" cyclone, with a separate dust collector bin mounted below it. It's a lot easier to arrange the plumbing to this (mainly dust, low air volume) than it is to plumb in the full air and dust flow, then trap the dust. You'll have to seal the lid of the dust collector bin downstairs, but it's only low presure - simple overlapping plywood lids with weights on will work.

How well does a 1hp work when mounted high up ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Hell, go for a fake cyclone and see if that doesn't do it for you. Garbage can and lid....

Reply to
George

I feel your pain... rushing up on 60 and thinking more and more that manual labor is a guy I met in Baja once..

I made a cyclone (2nd one) out of a 50 gallon cardboard drum... added a plywood top and 2 DC fittings, on straight through the lid and the other going through and to an elbow.. (for that nice toilet bowl swirl *g*) I turn on the lathe every night and use the band saw a lot, the drum gets hand trucked out to the back yard once a week... My Harbor Freight DC is about a year old and the chip bag has a few inches of stuff in it, the top bag seems to have little or no dust... I've never emptied either bag.. YMMV

send me an email if you'd like further info or pictures...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

mac davis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You'll need to empty the bags if you forget to dump the barrel in a timely manner. DAMHIKT.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

As we all know, home shop dust collection systems are not subject to dust explosions because of the scale of the duct work, failing to yield sufficient volume and air/dust mixture concentrations for detonation, and the forces necessary (and unavailable) to ignite same.

However, loose, exhausted dust into a covered trailer begins to approximate the dust explosion model of grain elevators and may be more of a risk than is worth attempting.

I'm not saying it can, I'm not saying it can't. I don't know. But unlike the normal home shop dust collection system, which can't explode, you've changed enough variables here so that it ought to give you pause.

Reply to
LRod

Use a cyclone in your shop. A garbage can will work work too. I doubt 1 HP can move larger chips to the ceiling very well--I'd figure something like 3 HP is much better.

Reply to
Phisherman

Amazingly the unit works quit well with the bags. The unit is located above my shop (10' feet above) in the attic and has been taking care of about 6 drops including a 15" planner and 8" joiner. My problem is empting it. Not only do I have to haul the sawdust down the stairs but I have to do it frequently. My thought of using the trailer not only eliminates hauling the dust downstairs but would also stop the frequent empting (the trailer could hold well over 20 bags). I hadn't given much thought to a dust explosion in the trailer but after thinking about it I beleive I can lessen the danger by leaving both ends of the trailer open giving it lots of ventelation. I've decided to give it a try. I have some 5" metal pipe coming and will simply blow it out to the ground until I prove its worth. If it does work, I'll build a trailer. Thanks for your input, I'll let you know how I make out.

Reply to
EdG

"EdG" wrote in news:1119233506.782051.58870 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

One of our regulars here set up a drop into his curbside style yard waste recycling cart/bin. A plywood top, with PVC S&D connections, couldn't be too challenging to adapt to your situation.

Patriarch, thinking it was maybe BobS with the pictures...

Reply to
Patriarch

yep.. I had that problem on my 1st cyclone, a 20 gal plastic garbage can... When I made the top for the 55 gal. drum, I used a slip fitting on a "universal" DC port, so I can pop off one hose to check level before any heavy use, like floor sweeping.. BTDT

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

IMHO, don't let you insurance company know about this DC "collection point" and remove the pipes, etc. if you have any type of claim.. YMMV

If I was going to go to all the trouble of piping the stuff to a trailer, I'd just pipe it to either a large drum on the ground outside or to a green waste container, if your area has those.. It would seem that emptying the trailer would be a real PITA..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

That might've been me. At the URL below, go to the woodshop, then the new shop link, then to the cyclone page.

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood