OT:Cabinet top relaminate

I'm wondering if I could scuff up an existing formica top, and then install another layer of formica over it?

I thought about tile but am finding it easier to shop for and afford laminate. Doing a new top is a possibility but I see no need to waste what is there and pay for a new custom top.

The existing top is trimmed in 1 by 2 solid oak so I would be keeping it.

Thanks,

RonT

Reply to
Ron Truitt

You can put another layer over an existing layer. Scuffing the old layer a bit probably would be a good idea. Not much effort and little time taken to do so.

Reply to
Leon

That is why I prefer Formica to Corian, when you get tired of the surface it is very easy to replace. I have done it several times; the old stuff has to be very clean with no gloss remaining. DAve

Reply to
Dave W

I usually TSP wash, sand and acetone clean prior to relaminating HPL. If the current laminate extends over the oak edge (and was then beveled, etc) - then you will have a double thickness of the darker core material showing when complete.

Reply to
Eric Ryder

I'm confused (a fairly normal situation according to my wife), if you put a new layer of laminate on top of the existing layer, but want to keep the oak trim, how will the laminate and trim meet on a level plane. Are you intending to take off all the trim and reinstall it level to the new laminate?

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

On my new formica replacements, I get out the heat gun, heat up the old formica (which activates the adhesive), take it off, new formica. It's the right way to do it. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

I thought I would try beveling the new overlay with a router to keep it on the same angle as the old formica.

Or I might just bail and try to pass the new overlay by the inspector(female). Maybe after a few beers.

Maybe if I cut it at a bevel on the table saw.... I'll figure something out.

RonT

Reply to
Ron Truitt