Install formica over old formica top

I want to install laminate (formica,etc) over my existing kitchen counters.

1- Is this OK? 2- How do I prepare surface and how do I install?
Reply to
gebepe

I did this to an old table I used in the shop.

1 - belt sand the existing formica. 2 - wipe off. 3 - mount new formica like you normally would

So far - Ive had no problems and its been like3 years.

Reply to
Rob V

Yep that's the way it's done. The OP needs to make sure the existing formica is solid on its substrate first - then go at it like you did.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

I redid our kitchen counters about six months ago by just going over the old stuff. I was lucky in that the front edge was not rounded over but was a piece of oak with a beveled top edge.

I looked on formica.com and also on the hgtv web page and read a bit and then proceeded by rough sanding and cleaning the old top and then gluing as normal. The extra formica edge does not even show.

Saved hundreds over buying a new top.

Give it a go.

RonT

Reply to
Ron Truitt

I'm assuming your existing countertops are laminate.

Assuming there are no problems ... lifting, peeling, gouges, etc ... with the existing tops, you can laminate over them.

Worst practice -- rough up with a sander, contact cement the new laminate into place over the old, trim as required.

Better practice -- screw and glue 1/4 or 3/8's plywood over existing top. Fill and sand. Contact cement new laminate onto plywood.

Best practice -- remove old countertop, build new one. Takes about the same amount of time.

As to how to install ... there are many excellent books. Consult a library.

Ken

Reply to
bambam