machinist vise

Looking to get one for use with my drill press -- I do need the accuracy of a $200+ one but I would like it to be stable and allow repeatable operations. Rockler sells one for $80 which seems about right but there is not a lot of info on the web page. Anybody got one ? How do you like it ? If anybody has other suggestions I am all ears

Cheers

link to the rockler site

Sam the Cat

Those inexpensive units have lots of backlash. How accurate does your repeatability have to be?

John

Reply to
John T

Backlash is a non issue. Repeatability will come entirely from how well the ways are fitted and how well you can mount the part each time (in other words, the quality of the vise mechanism.

Reply to
CW

Need a milling machine? Buy one. Need an x/y table for consecutive holes? Most anything will do. I bought this HF model before I found out that even the little $40 HF drill had a MT-2 (iirc) chuck taper.

link to the rockler site

hint of a side thrust will unseat them and the chuck will be in your hands, with or without a spinning blade in it.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I figure 1/64" would be nice -- am I hoping for too much ? Application is repeated drilling (not milling) I'd like something that once I register 1 corner I can get to any point by X-turns on one axes and Y-turns on the other.

Reply to
Sam the Cat

I'll have to check out the HF model -- there's a store near by that I can see it in person (hopefully)

Reply to
Sam the Cat

I just picked up one of these on sale for $69 and so far am a happy camper. Heavy duty unit with lots of adjustments. I had looked at the $50 ones at Horrible Fright and there is no comparison.

LFW

Reply to
L. Wilson

LFW, What is the measurement capability -- there is mention of making measurement but its not clear from the web page on how this is done. I was hoping the threads on the axes were something like 16 or 32tpi and I could count by turns

Reply to
Sam the Cat

They have no more than 1/4" slop from the factory. You can get it down to about 1/32" through adjustment.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I looked at the Rockler link and while I can't say for certain from the picture, I'd bet that the vise they stock is identical to one available from harbor Freight for about halt that cost.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

It looks like the slides are 8 TPI. The scales look to have a total travel measurement of 6 inches.

LFW

Sam the Cat wrote:

Reply to
L. Wilson