90 Degree Angle Braces - $$$$$$$!!

or

in the world are these brackets so expensive? Can they possibly be worth it?

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Because the metal ones are more expensive to manufacture than the plastic ones Rockler sells.

Can they possibly

IMHO a piece of plywood cut triangle shaped with a few holes cut through for the clamps to fit into works pretty well.

Reply to
Leon

Specialty product, specialty prices. Why not make your own?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

They are heavy aluminum and if they are truly accurate, they are worth it. If you look closely, there is some time in fabricating them, not just simple stamping. You do pay for accuracy. These are not like a 39¢ bracket from Wal Mart

From the LV web page: Accurately made from 3/16" aluminum, they are square to a tolerance comparable to most machine squares.

Good chance they will be on my next Lee Valley order.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you look at the photo in the January catalog, you can actually read the print on the brackets.

MADE IN USA JEVONS TOOL COMPANY PATENT PENDING Kansas City, KS

Not that that actually tells me anything, but it increases the odds that I'd buy some.

Slightly anyway. I'm actually getting on fine with a set of four corner clamps so far. They seem to be a very good solution to this particular problem, and they're already paid for.

Reply to
Silvan

Not in the least. Like a lot of Lee Valley products, they are for Yuppieville wannabees. If a woodworker can't align his pieces at 90 degrees while clamping, he should find another hobby. If you wore everything they sell before going into your garden to grow a few spuds you'd look like a Martian immigrant. I've gone through magazine after magazine wondering who on Earth spends their money this way. Sure, there might be the odd item, but page after page of such rubbish just turns me away. They might suit the computerised micrometer clan though, who can't cut a piece of wood if it's not accurate to ten thou.

Reply to
Guess who

In my line of work METAL I could turn those things out by the 100's if I had too. They are so easy to make. We have a laser so I could cut them accurately......I agree that a piece of plywood cut in a triangle wood do the same thing. I could make the aluminum ones for less than 10.00 a pair.....Brian

Reply to
Brian In Hampton

Sat, Jan 8, 2005, 3:46pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) says: IMHO a piece of plywood cut triangle shaped with a few holes cut through for the clamps to fit into works pretty well.

Yup. Or, if you wanted metal ones, be plenty easy to cut, and weld, some angle iron.

JOAT EVERY THING THAT HAPPENS STAYS HAPPENED.

- Death

Reply to
J T

I can't imagine anything working better. I use the same setup. SH - The "scrap is cheap" woodworker

Reply to
Slowhand

I'm sure you can. What you can't do for $10 a pair is print a catalog, mail it out to your customers, inventory them in a warehouse, buy the shipping supplies and pay someone (along with their benefits and insurance) to pack and ship them, do the billing and deduct them from inventory on your database. I'd be happy to call you on your 800 number and order a pair though.

Seriously, I'll take two pairs for 20 bucks.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Jay wrote:>Why in the world are these brackets so expensive? Can they possibly

They may have sold some at that price before? Ahhh, capitalism in action! Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

I'll take four pairs for $40, if you're up for it. Seriously.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Then, with your handy milling machine (everyone has one , right?) machine them strait and square in two axis.

Reply to
CW

Anyone here a member of the clan?

Reply to
mp

That'll cover your material costs. What about labour, distribution, and marketing, staffing, and general business overhead?

Reply to
mp

Amen brother!!! I agree with you 110%. But you and I both know that 75% of the people that hang out here have their noses so far up LV's ass that, well probably enough said already. I'm the greatest, I bought all my stuff from Lee Valley! Bull shit!

Reply to
LVBAH!!!

So uh you have a chip on your shoulder for any particular reason?

Reply to
Leon

Sat, Jan 8, 2005, 1:02pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (CW) says: Then, with your handy milling machine (everyone has one , right?) machine them strait and square in two axis.

Well, no, actually. I had thought it would go without saying you'd take a bit of care, and get it right. Guess not.

Make a jig, to hold the pieces square for welding. Yes, you'd have to make sure the jig is square first. I'd make the jig from wood, of course. Angle hacksaw cut the angle Iron, butt the pieces in the jig, weld - gas, arc, MIG, TIG, whatever's available - brazing would work too. No prob if the angle cuts are a shade off, the sides are what's important, and they'll be aligned in the jig, the weld will hold them square. No prob. Wouldn't be bootiful, unless you painted 'em, but they'd be plenty accurate. If you wanted, you could smooth the welds a bit with a grinder, no milling machine required. Hell, if I had a millig machine, I could just make some from solid stock. No prob. You could probably even make some using silver solder, but that might get a bit pricey. It ain't rocket science.

JOAT EVERY THING THAT HAPPENS STAYS HAPPENED.

- Death

Reply to
J T

Sun, Jan 9, 2005, 12:41am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@stuff.ca (LVBAH!!!) claims: Amen brother!!! I agree with you 110%. But you and I both know that 75% of the people that hang out here have their noses so far up LV's ass that, well probably enough said already. I'm the greatest, I bought all my stuff from Lee Valley! Bull shit!

Well, well. Glad to see your alt.test post went well, so you could post this drivel here. Too bad you don't have any credibility tho. By the way, I believe that bullshit is one word. And, I don't own anything from Lee Valley - but that's subject to change at any time, especially in view of your enlightening post..

JOAT EVERY THING THAT HAPPENS STAYS HAPPENED.

- Death

Reply to
J T

A premium perhaps Edwin, but $25.00 is far past premium. That's ridiculous. There's just no material cost there and there's nothing spectacular about getting them square. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I sure wouldn't put up that money for something that simple. But then again, that's me.

Reply to
Mike Marlow