Tabletop Clip or Pocket Screw or Miller Dowel

I've been trying to get some tabletop clips from the local Woodcraft store for several weeks now. These are the ones that look like a figure eight from the top and are flat with screw holes. Seems the warehouse hasn't any in stock either. I've seen Norm use these for his table projects by using a forstner bit to create an eighth inch pocket on the leg top and screwing the clip in. Ordering from an online store would cost more in shipping than the clips themselves.

So I'm looking at alternatives. Knowing the clips are the least expensive way to go for a low cost book shelf I'm building, kinda mission style 30" tall, I'm considering Miller dowels or pocket screws. The Millers seem pretty expensive for the dowels plus the drill bit and then probably a Japanese saw to flush cut it. The pocket screws hardware is costly as well. The question is: which of these are the most useful for following projects? What is most used/useful: Miller dowels or pocket screws?

I know there are other tabletop clips but seems to me I'd need to buy a router bit to make a slot for those as well.

Appreciate your thoughts,

Thunder

Reply to
Rolling Thunder

Try here. The type you are looking for is listed at the top and another variety is below. This is a reputable place to deal with.

do not suggest dowels or screws as they do not let the table top expand and contract with out putting undue strain on the legs and aprons.

Reply to
Leon

A better link

> I do not suggest dowels or screws as they do not let the table top expand

Reply to
Leon

Do you have a Rockler store nearby? Item # 21650. Or if you're not in a big hurry, order over the web.

You mean the ones that are sorta Z-shaped, like these?

use my biscuit joiner to cut slots for them.

Lee Valley has them, too, at a much better price:

Doug Miller

Rolling Thunder wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm guessing that we're just talking about securing the top here, right?

Glue small blocks to the underside of the top, or to the top edge of the sides, but not both. Elongate some screw holes in the blocks, and secure to the unglued piece with a standard wood screw of appropriate size. The long screw hole allows for the cross-grain wood movement to occur gracefully. And cheaply.

The same thing could be done with hidden bracing under the top, which adds to the strength of the strucure.

Did that make any sense to you? I'd be willing to try again, when I'm awake.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I've made my own out of aluminum stock. I have sold old aluminum sign (obtained legitimately) that I've cut into 1/2" x 1" pieces. I drille and countersunk a hole on one end. One end of the clip rides in dadoe near the top of the table's apron, and the other end get' screwed to the underside of the table top. The price was right an they worked well

-- makesawdust

Reply to
makesawdust

Ok, so you're using them for a bookshelf? Is it for a solid wood top?

To answer your question, I think a pocket hole jig would be very useful to you if you intend to do a lot of woodworking. I use mine quite a bit. If you're doing a face frame for your bookshelf, you'll wonder how you got along without it.

Reply to
bf