drssing router plane blades

I'm lost about this new acquisition: an old stanley No. 71 router.

Is there a pdf file or something on the 'Net of the instructions that come with it?

In the absense of that,

  1. Is the double edged blade (bit?) supposed to have a rounded tip? I'm honing this bit and the previous owner used a file to dress the edge on both it and the others, and wasn't too particular about the angle of it, where it was making contact with the bits, or about leaving marks behind. It appears that a rounded tip was favored, however. Seems like that might reduce splitting on an unsharp edge, but is it needed or desired for a sharp edge?

  1. There are two kinds of blades, and I don't know when which is used for what. Are there any explanations of these and how they're used? (I mean, beyond that they are used for routing dados, etc...)

Thanks in advance...

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

This site has manual(s).

's not working for me at the moment as I get a "... not found on this server" error when I click a document link. Hopefully it'll work for you. If not I could go photograph my manual, if I can find it.

Reply to
Wood Butcher

| 1. Is the double edged blade (bit?) supposed to have a rounded tip? | I'm honing this bit and the previous owner used a file to dress the | edge on both it and the others, and wasn't too particular about the | angle of it, where it was making contact with the bits, or about | leaving marks behind. It appears that a rounded tip was favored, | however. Seems like that might reduce splitting on an unsharp | edge, but is it needed or desired for a sharp edge?

I've never used one with a rounded point. Mine is pointed (~ 90 degrees)

| | 2. There are two kinds of blades, and I don't know when which is | used for what. Are there any explanations of these and how they're | used? (I mean, beyond that they are used for routing dados, etc...)

Chisel blades for general clean out, pointy blade for smoothing. Adjust as necessary for the job at hand.

Morris Dovey

I couldn't reach them, either.

I tried sending an email, if I get a response I can post an update.

If you did that I'd be obligated to convert them to pdf files and set up a web page anyone could reach them from... and I'd still be much obliged.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

'Kay, thanks. I'll push a little longer. :-/

Any idea what the factory angle is on the bevel?

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Posted in ABPW. Quality is so-so. If you need better I'll try and get my daughter to scan it on her computer.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

I went out and measured mine. I bought my 71 on ebay as "never been used", so I believe these to be the factory grind. The grind marks are quite coarse and there appears to be no honing ever done to them.

1/4" = 37° 1/2" = 31° V = 32° [each bevel to bottom] 90° [at the point - cutting edge to cutting edge]

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Thanks! And thanks for the post in binary...

er

Reply to
Enoch Root