Recently bought a stanley number 130 double ended block plane for $40 australian (about $28 USD) that is in excellent condition still in the original box.

My question to you all is, as a woodworker I bought it to use, but should I keep it as a collectible instead?

Are they rare or valuable?

Thanks for your help - this is a great newsgroup (except for the very annoying spam...)

Scott.

Reply to
Scott Rollo

AFAIR, the #130 is a twin-position version of the #102. I _hate_ this plane. It was my first ever plane (Christmas in my first ever toolset), and I never knew how to adjust it right. Even today I just can't bear to use the damned thing.

#130's aren't rare, judging from UK eBay traffic. If I saw a way to shift it, I think I'd jump at the chance.

Andy Dingley

Andy Dingley wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Just to counterpoint Andy, I have a #130, and use it quite a bit. I leave the blade in the bullnose position, since I've got other block planes which are more comfortable for "normal" use. Now, mine wasn't NIB (it was more "used on table"), so there was no question about using it. I don't think the #130 is particularly collectable, and I think it'd be pretty hard to damage one, so my inclination would be to stash the box somewhere safe & go ahead & use the plane.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I'd hesitate to use one that was like new in the original box.

The 130 lacks any fine adjustments so that it's not much good as a user anyhow.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt