Drawers

I heard something brief about building drawers with pocket screws, but heard none of the details. I thought about it for a few minutes, and this is what I came up with:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/15894825493/in/photostream/lightbox/
I figure that way none of the screws would show, unless you removed the drawer completely to look at the back. It looks pretty easy too. You could even make the dado for the bottom on the stock before cutting it it to length.
The main drawback that I can think of is being drummed out of the woodworking fraternity for doing something as low class as that. :)
Are there other reasons to avoid it? This is all just speculation at this point, I don't have a particular project in mind. But I hadn't thought of making drawers this way before and it piqued my interest.
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 18:22:49 -0500, Greg Guarino wrote:

I like my drawer sides to be 1/4" to 3/8" thick. Any more than that looks "clunky" to me. I don't think a side that thin would give much purchase to a pocket screw.
I might consider it for shop drawers - sure would be fast.
On 2/14/2015 7:15 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote: > On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 18:22:49 -0500, Greg Guarino wrote: > >> I heard something brief about building drawers with pocket screws, but >> heard none of the details. I thought about it for a few minutes, and >> this is what I came up with: >> >> >> Are there other reasons to avoid it? This is all just speculation at >> this point, I don't have a particular project in mind. But I hadn't >> thought of making drawers this way before and it piqued my interest. > > I like my drawer sides to be 1/4" to 3/8" thick. Any more than that > looks "clunky" to me. I don't think a side that thin would give much > purchase to a pocket screw.
True. I imagine it would need to be at least 1/2". When you use 1/4", that must make for a pretty shallow dado for the bottom. > > I might consider it for shop drawers - sure would be fast.
I've been thinking of making some utilitarian drawers for practice (and use, of course).
On 2/14/15 5:22 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Looks fine to me! Let the elitists snear.
--

-MIKE-