Drawer pulls(drawpulls) Finished

Back on July 12 I posted here I was making some drawer pulls for a desk and got some good suggestions on how to proceed. This past week I finished them. Presently, I am unable to put the pictures on my site due to some FTP errors Mediacom is having. However, I have posted the pictures over on alt.binaries.pictures,woodworking if you are interested.
Larry

and
FTP error is fixed here are the pix They are made of scrap mild steel sheet and the handles are wound with copper and brazed. The leaves were polished to a near mirror finish but appear black/blue in the pictures maybe because I'm wearing a black tee shirt or something. Anyway, they have just been coated with a clear coat and it hasn't quite dried. drawerpull2big shows the 4 pulls; the bottom one is showing it's backside and the cardboard on the very bottom is the pull pattern. drawerpull1big is a closeup of two of the pulls.
http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/drawerpull2big.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/drawerpull1big.jpg
Larry
Lawrence L'Hote wrote: [snip]

Beautiful. How did you finally do the veins on the leafs?     mahalo,     jo4hn

Thanks again. I made chasing tools from some punches I got at the pawn show. Ground and polished it so it indented a length about 1/4" or so. I tried various lengths. Put the pattern on the polished metal with a black marking pen and with a thick piece of leather between the metal and my anvil I hit the chasing tool with a heavy hammer. I practiced but found it futile to try to get a nice smooth line. Next time I do something like this I'll do things a little different, but at the time I made the veins, it was 94+ outside and the humidity was 70% and I was taking numerous breaks. I then cut out the handle and annealed it with a torch so I could make the bend. All sorts of filing, sanding and buffing followed.
Larry
Sun, Jul 25, 2004, 7:27pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com (LawrenceL'Hote) announces: <snip> They are made of scrap mild steel sheet and the handles are wound with copper and brazed. <snip>
Attaboy Larry, they're lookin' good.
However, not to burst your bubble, but how will they be fastened on?
JOAT Expensive tennis shoes won't cure a sore toe. - Bazooka Joe THE NEW COPPERPLATE http://www.banjer.com/midi/newcopp.mid
(Lawrence L'Hote) announces: <snip> They are made of scrap mild steel sheet and the handles are wound with copper and brazed. <snip>
>>> Attaboy Larry, they're lookin' good.
>>> However, not to burst your bubble, but how will they be fastened on?
There is no bubble, J T. If you look at the bottom pull in the picture you can see the backside of one of the pulls. The mounting screw heads are showing. I've brazed a piece of thin copper tubing to the backs and mashed the copper onto the screw and the pull mounts tight. Mounting the hardware was the very first thing I worked on before I started cutting out the pulls.
I appreciate your time and comments.
Larry
Mon, Jul 26, 2004, 9:12am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com (LawrenceL'Hote) explains: <snip> The mounting screw heads are showing. I've brazed a piece of thin copper tubing to the backs and mashed the copper onto the screw and the pull mounts tight. <snip>
Ah. Saw that in the picture, but couldn'tmake out what it was. Makes sense now.
JOAT Expensive tennis shoes won't cure a sore toe. - Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE http://www.banjer.com/midi/jerridge.mid

they came out well. nice work...
Beautiful Larry! The time and effort you took for these drawer pulls really make it outstanding.
--
Ed. O.

My woodworking projects at:

really