Drawer Face Calculations

Hello Fellow Woodworkers and Nail-benders!

Some time ago, someone had posted an Excel spreadsheet with formulas pre-loaded for calculating chest of drawer front heights. Useful for having that nice look of shallow drawers on top and the drawers gradually getting deeper as the went down.

Well, it's happened to us all, I'm sure, but the hard drive gave up the ghost and that spreadsheet as well as a whole lot more was lost. I'm hoping someone would be so kind to either point me in the right direction to find this again, or at least the formulas used to make the calculations.

Thanx in advance,

Lynn

Reply to
Nail Bender

Dan Parrell

That would be Charlie Lieb, IIRC ... I still have a copy of a url:

time I checked it was still there, or a link to it, in any event.

Reply to
Swingman

There's an article in the current FWW that incldes a sidebox discussion of drawer spacing.

-JBB

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

Let the depth of the top drawer be "A" , let the drawer divider depth be "b".

Say the chest has 4 drawers and the total drawer opening is "C".

top drawer depth = A

Second drawer depth = A+b

third drawer depth = [A+b]+b =A+2b

Forth drawer depth = [A+2b] +b = A+3b.

So total depth of opening = top drawer depth + divider+ second drawer depth+ divider+ third drawer +divider.

Total depth of opening = A + [A + b] + [A + b + b] + [A+2b + b] + 3b

b is usually 7/8" say 1," so lets say the opening is 30" then 4A +9b =

30", 4A = 30" -9" = 21"

4A = 21" A= 5 1/4"

Reply to
Mike Hide

I think I did the spreadsheet you're looking for. Tried e-mailing you the Excel spreadsheet but your address bounced. E-mail me the return address you want to use and I'll send you the spreadsheet. Replace the AT and DOT with @ and . in my address.

Here's the web page I put together on which the spreadsheet is based (all one line so watch the line wrap)

I tried to link the spreadsheet from this page but so far all attempts to do so successfuly have failed miserably. Anyone who's got the savy and willing to teach me the trick?

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

I downloaded the spreadsheet and it worked fine - I didn't try to verify calc's but it seems to work fine.. You have to download it and then open in excel. Don't open it directly or it will open in the browser.

Also, take a look at the current issue of FWW at an article on furniture design. It discusses proportions for things like drawer sets using the 'golden mean' as basis for calculation.

Reply to
jev

I've had the pleasure of attending several classes of Graham Blackburn's, the author of the article referred to by jev. Very interesting guy with a lot of interesting and useful information. The fact that he does all the drawings and illustrations in his books is pretty impressive too.

About the spreadsheet - where it specifies the user's input as being in RED, it should be GREEN.

Did the illustrations come through in the spreadsheet? Seeing the derivation of the equations lets you understand what's behind the curtain.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 01:03:18 -0800, charlie b brought forth from the murky depths:

Some hosts have to be tweaked to show those file. (I'm not yet that savvy with Apache servers.) Two things you can do to help the page, though, are

1) show the GIF in full size, so it's readable. Change src="GraduatedDrawersDH1.gif" width="680" height="500" to src="GraduatedDrawersDH1.gif" width="707" height="596" 2) Have people using Nutscrape (and some other browsers) right-click the link to the XLS and choose "Save Link Target As", then pick a spot on their hard drive to save it. The link works in IE6, though.

Addendum: After opening the spreadsheet and viewing it, then closing it, Netscape brings up the Save dialog box. Perhaps have people open Excel, then try the link.

OBWW: I spent 5 hours cleaning/sorting/hanging tools in my shop today. Another few weeks of this and I'll be up and running into sawdust. ;)

======================================================== TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Gourmet Web Applications ==========================

Reply to
Larry Jaques