Down and dirty drawers

Page 3 of 3
"dpb" wrote:
<snip>

If I want to bullshit, I'll go to the boat yard.
Lew
On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 12:24:53 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

it- - - - - - - -.
On 11/8/2013 2:24 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote: ...

There are many levels on which the bull session is valuable--different folks are at different spots and the resulting "information" is for an alternate universe depending...I partake of several from the sale barn to...
On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 12:24:53 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

The funny thing was Lew you voiced your opinion of why you didn't want to go inside, and I told you why it was to big deal for me because of where I lived. Look where this thread has gone. Just shows life is interesting.
On 11/6/2013 2:31 PM, Leon wrote: ...

Credit Union, I presume.

On 11/6/2013 12:23 PM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote: ...

That certainly varies by bank. Some are very commercially oriented, others, sorta' in between and yet others are very much interested in the personal banking.
How much of which tends to correlate with size and regionality of the operation altho even some of the very large have branches that concentrate on local/personal arenas.
Best personal service if that is what one is looking for is quite likely going to be found with the local or smaller regional bank, not BOA or W-F or somesuch.

Sure, it varies a lot by bank but people are not their purpose. They're "commercial banks". Credit unions are run by people for people (and yes, they vary a lot, too). Ours happens to be very good, so we've stuck with them for 40 years, over 20 of that living in a different state.

+1
OTOH, I have a CC with a megabank. I only have it for its cash-back.

Nonsense.
CU's have their place certainly, but they're not _necessarily_ any panacea, either. We dealt w/ a decent CU in TN, but the local bank here is far better.
On 11/6/13, 7:55 PM, dpb wrote:

We came from an Ohio credit union for more than a decade to a TN credit union for more than a decade. We had a time between where we were with a bank, a good bank that came highly recommended and had a great reputation. They SUCKED!
Everything about the bank sucked compared to both CUs. Lousy service, fees, lower interest rates, did I mention fees?
It's like going from riding the bus to a private limo. We will never go back.
--

-MIKE-

Just because you've had a better experience at CU's doesn't discount someone else having a better experience at some bank.
On 11/6/2013 9:36 PM, -MIKE- wrote: ...

Well, that may have been; we were w/ a TN CU for 25 yr 'til returned to family farm in KS. The bank we're using here (local, independent) is _far_ more friendly, serviceable and less expensive. The fees are less than were paying the CU in TN.
OTOH, there's a branch of BOA here that has all the issues they're known for nationally on a smaller scale--how they remain open is beyond my ken, but for some reason they do. Inertia on most peoples' part I suppose altho we took Mom's account from there shortly after returning--the personal account was still there because it, too, had been a local bank until having sold out some time ago and gone thru a half-dozen or more transitions before finally the last group of which it belonged was one that BOA bought out.
Again, it's all in the actual institution, not a generality.

It's not.

That's a rarity. What about the CU there?

As a generic statement it's worthless--there are very good, mediocre and very bad CUs just as there are of everything else. There were three large ones in TN that each filled one of the niches...the third actually ended up folding and was absorbed by the second not long after we left.

Not in my experience it's not, no. Then again, I don't deal with the major banks but smaller, local ones where I know the people involved directly outside the bank as well.
There have been some of those everywhere I've lived; large communities as well as small.
Again, there are some but none for which am eligible that would consider using instead of the bank. We do have some funds there--grandparents and parents were cofounders and I have a $5 bill there from the same time in the late 50s still there... :)
On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 22:01:12 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

My wife worked for a bank until about a year ago. They were always looking for some way to cut corners and about six months ago they bought out everyone over 60. If she'd waited six months to leave, they would have given her a year's pay. :-(
Because of the economy, she's been unable to find a job. Even the banks aren't hiring. Amazingly, no one even wants volunteers, at least no one that doesn't want you to pay for the privilege. She will probably take her measly SS in the spring, when she turns 62.
"HerHusband" <

Time for some humor: When I bought this house I'm living in I was surprised to find that there were _no_ drawers in the kitchen cabinets! None! Many years later I met a guy who proudly said he built the kitchen cabinets in this house. So of course I said: You forgot to put in drawers! He said they only collect junk and he didn't think they were worth it! True story I swear....! ;>)} Or perhaps these drawers are so well hidden I never found them.... heh heh ...