Dirty Gas for Lawnmower

As I was refilling the gas can with gas for my lawnmower I noticed specks of dirt (or something) in the bottom of the gas can. I probably should have gotten a new gas can, but didn't think of it at that moment.

I'm thinking that pouring the gas through some sort of filter into a new can would help. But what can I use as a filter? Would panty hose work? Or should I just play it safe and use a piece of metal screen? I'd like to filter as much as possible, of course, so the finer panty hose would be my first choice.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Suzie-Q

Panty hose, even regular hosiery will work fine. I keep a cover of it over my funnel and use the funnel for fueling; works great, and if foreign material shows up in the can, it's noticeable. Toe pieces make the best funnel cover. Be sure to allow it to sink in the middle of the funnel so gas has a "low" place to collect in as it goes thru it; less spillage that way. That also keeps foreign dirt from getting into the funnel during storage.

The gas can: Get it used up and empty, then take it outside and completely empty it of the last few drops. Add about a pint of kerosene, slosh well, dump quickly. REpeat as necessary until the dirt inside is washed out. No need to buy another can if that one is in good condition. Gas/kero will kill grass etc: be careful. And don't let anyone SMOKE nearby while you're doing it! Do NOT use gas to clean the can! Kero or clean fuel oil only. Metal screen: If you go that route, you should get copper or something that wont' rust or react to gasoline. It'll last longer but a nylon usually lasts a good three months for me, then I make a new filter. Nylons have a smaller mesh though. Either, BTW, will also catch water in the gas as you pour. A gas can should be rinesed out each season.

Cheers,

Pop

Reply to
Pop

"Suzie-Q" wrote

Yes, but don't try this while still wearing them.

Reply to
Albert Thrower

A chamois cloth will do the best job, but pantyhose or cheesecloth will be better than nothing.

Reply to
Andy Hill

How about a coffee filter in a funnel?

Reply to
trader4

I haven't rinsed mine since I bought it 17 years ago. No problems so far!

Reply to
toller

Never thought about that, but I bet they'd work well. No idea whether the gas would eat at them or not. Worth checking out though.

Cheers,

Pop

Reply to
Pop