Doweled Tee Joint: Any need to apply glue to the wood faces?

I'm going to be gluing up the joints shown in the foreground of this drawing:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/14401556002/in/set-72157644207411490
... the ones with three dowels per joint.
Here's what the assemblies will look like:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/15070392677/in/set-72157644207411490/lightbox/
The wood surfaces are edge grain and end grain. Is there any need, any point, any benefit to applying glue to those surfaces? Or should I just apply the glue to the dowels and holes?
On 12/8/2014 1:58 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Use glue.
While not the strongest bond with glue in that situation, every little bit adds to overall joint strength.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 12/8/2014 4:30 PM, Swingman wrote:

Yeah!
On 12/8/2014 2:58 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

I glue the faces. People will tell you it's not useful but it gives it more strength.
--
Jeff

On 12/8/2014 6:57 PM, woodchucker wrote:

To all:
That's not the answer I was expecting, so I'm glad I asked. In reality, there would likely be glue on those surfaces anyway; spillover from applying it in the holes and being squeezed out by the dowels. But I'll make sure to get a coating over the whole surface.
Thanks.
On Tuesday, December 9, 2014 10:00:11 AM UTC-6, Greg Guarino wrote:

If not much strength, it does add more stability by filling the gaps on mat ing surfaces. For fun, to see how much it adds glue up two blocks of the s ame dimension of your project, but without dowels. Leave overnight, then g o out in the morning and see how much it takes to break the joint. Probabl y only a few pounds, but translated to what you are doing, it is a signific ant contribution.
Robert

Exactly, any gaps will be filled rather than leace a collecting place/crack for dust.
On 12/9/2014 2:24 PM, Leon wrote:

Funny thing. Prior to my participation here, I was unaware that end grain does not allow a strong glue joint. So I would have glued the faces. Then I learned ... a little, and left to my own devices might well have left the faces bare. Now I will heed the more nuanced advice that it makes a lousy bond, but glue it up anyway; i.e., going back to the practice I'd have used before I "knew" anything.
I'm going to be gluing up the joints shown in the foreground of this drawing:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/14401556002/in/set-72157644207411490
... the ones with three dowels per joint.
Here's what the assemblies will look like:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/15070392677/in/set-72157644207411490/lightbox/
The wood surfaces are edge grain and end grain. Is there any need, any point, any benefit to applying glue to those surfaces? Or should I just apply the glue to the dowels and holes?
--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway