How to apply wood veneer?

I am repairing the badly damaged surface of an old table. Size is 16" x 27". It was veneer but so badly damaged I have sanded it all away. I have bought a sheet of mahogany veneer - size is 12" x 6' (no, there's no sticky backing paper - just real veneer)) Given the width it will have to be laid in two parallel strips. Google tells me about using contact adhesive and slide plates vs. normal 'slippy' wood glue - the former can be rolled on, the latter required significant clamping. But nowhere does it tell me about butting the two parallel strips and how I might approach that. My simple mind suggests like wallpaper - overlay them, cut right thru the two layers and remove the spare bits - they should then butt precisely. For a beginner (me) it seems like slippy glue and clamps is the way to go? But then grain matching is also important.
Anyone please make suggestions or recommend a web source for a learner? I did look for earlier threads on this subject but found none. I thought maybe it is a commonly asked problem. I could find no archives.
Dee

I did try veneering once, the skill now seems pretty obsolete. Old woodwork books might be better than the web. From memory, if there's a small gap between pieces, sanding while the glue is still soft will fill it with wood powder of the exact colour and it is almost invisible.
john
John wrote:

No need to worry about the soft glue. Sand away and wipe a CA dipped finger down the join.

Apologies. SWMBO has me painting and flooring. It will be a few more days before I get around to the veneer job :( But will post back eventually.
Dee