How to remove wood veneer

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to remove wood veneer from an old cedar woodbox. Nothing fancy. It is too much work to sand it off, so I've been using a sharp 1" chisel, but it is really slow going. Is there an easier way to remove wood veneer (eg, by loosining the glue somehow)? Thanks,

-- Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

try steam from an iron maybe?

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Depends on the glue that was used, but if it was hide glue or similar, some heat will soften it right up.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

a lot of veneer is put on with contact cement.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Reply to
nospambob

Failing that, a 2' plane would probably go faster and with less chance of catastrophe than a 1" chisel.

Reply to
default

Last time I did this was while restoring a radio cabinet. I placed a damp towel over the veneer and went over it with a hot iron. The steam losened it right up. Had tried this with a steam iron and it did not work as well.

Reply to
Jimmie