Wood veneer - how to flatten ripples?

I recently glued unfinished wood veneer with contact cement to a tabletop. A member of the household placed a clay flowerpot on the veneer, and now it has rippled up and debonded from the underlying surface. I suspect that water vapour from the pot base evaporated into the veneer and caused it to ripple. I know that I can't rebond the veneer, but does anyone know how to permanently flatten the ripples? Thanks in advance, Darro

Reply to
Darro

Darro wrote:>I recently glued unfinished wood veneer with contact cement to a

Your suspicions are probably correct. That darn debonding. Toughie. Maybe try an iron on a med/low temperature, let it dry for a while, then sand the whole thing lightly. If it works, then finish the veneer with something that'll withstand your housemates. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

Iron usually works reasonably well. If not, inject some glue and clamp until dry. How to inject? Hypodermic needle or slit the veneer and work glue under with something thin.

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH