Dovetail splines for a box

Page 1 of 2
I notice there are a lot of videos demonstrating how to make straight splines using a 45 degree sled on a table saw. Is there any reason why this could not be done using a similar sled on a router table with a dovetail bit?
No reason at all why you can't do this. You need to use care when making the jig so that the angle is exactly 45 or the splines won't fit. And of course, you'll need more care in making the splines than you would for a simple straight piece.
On Thursday, October 31, 2013 12:40:03 AM UTC-5, Michael wrote:

It's a common thing. Depending upon the length of the sliding dovetails, you may want to taper them, makes it much easier to assemble.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

On 10/31/2013 12:40 AM, Michael wrote:

These folks have closed down, but here is a video of jig that is well worth watching just to get some ideas for making your own router jig to do the same thing:
http://www.dovetailspline.com/index.html
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:28:46 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:

Just watched the video. Great jig, but they do want a little money for it. And they're closed.
On Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:58:17 AM UTC-5, Michael wrote:

This is what I'm after. http://lumberjocks.com/Toolz/blog/16320
Thanks.
On 10/31/2013 9:58 AM, Michael wrote:

No shit!!
Did you bother to read my post? You're welcome, fuck you very much.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 12:27:11 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

You could read that two different ways. "And they're closed" could be read as his agreeing with Karl. Agreed, interpreting it that way is not what I'd call a common interpretation, but it certainly could be read as such.
I bought one of these jigs and plenty of dovetails in oak, cherry, and waln ut from Mr. Kehoe some 15-20 years back at the woodworking show in Atlanta. Just had to have it. It is still in the box (unused)along with the dovetai ls. Seems he was a cowboy type from Montana, Idaho, somewhere out that way. .. working the booth by himself. Delightful old fellow. You guys ever buy a tool on impulse?

Never! :-)
On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 22:23:22 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

I bought a biscuit joiner several years ago, a nice, handy machine that has sat virtually unused for the entire time. I finally moved the box where I wouldn't be reminded of it too often.
basilisk

What, if anything, did you use in lieu of the biscuit joiner? My biscuit joiner sat virtually unused for two years the moment I bought myself a Domino. Ended up selling the joiner for $50.
I blame it all on Leon.
On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 09:12:50 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

laps, dadoes,sometimes dowels, mortices cut with router, I tried to use the plate joiner but it just seemed too insubstantial to me.

Could be, with claims floating around the internet that he is brutally handsome, he may be using his looks for salemanship.
basilisk
On Friday, November 1, 2013 8:26:26 AM UTC-5, basilisk wrote:

Snopes.com doesn't have any reports (Yet!!), that the claims are false.
Sonny
On 11/1/2013 9:33 AM, Sonny wrote:

Meh ... Snopes? You don't need no steenking Snopes:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HzZmBNMQSS8/T5gwk0fANUI/AAAAAAAALco/qJ6OchIyYXc/w800-h600-no/Leon+and+Karl.jpg
I would say, "devilishly", not "brutally". LOL
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 11/1/2013 9:39 AM, Swingman wrote:

Ahhhh. There's my partner, I still remember when we met on the internet. ROTFL.
On 11/1/2013 10:11 AM, Leon wrote:

Bawn jour!
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com